Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Give me your questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPCogAdmin

Programmer
May 22, 2006
US
Hi All,

I'm gonna be going to Report Studio training (V. 8 MR2 ) and I would like to contribute to the forum here. If you have any questions regarding Report Studio I'll be more than happy to post them to the instructor while I'm in training. Thanks

-Jim
By the way, this training will be within the next month. So if your question is past Sept. or Oct 2007 I will not be able to ask those questions.
;-)

Hi,

That's a very noble offer, but I can't imagine your instructor will be too impressed if you turn up to his/her course with a list of questions from 50-odd other folks!

I'd also humbly suggest that the instructor may be less able to answer those questions than some of the talented, highly experienced people in this forum who use Report Studio for real, every day.

Having said all that, I hope you enjoy the course!

Best,

MF.

Thank you for the compliment MF.

That's my philosophy, help and you will be helped.

I try to improve all the time and if my knowledge helps

others then I'm satisfied. Thank you MF. I've already began the list of questions I have for him/her.
;-)

-Jim

Hi,

I've got a problem and expect some of you may solve this.
I am working on Cognos 8. I'm using a view as a query subject and to build a report.Two of the several query items in this report are Batch name and Group name. When the User selects a Batch name in its prompt control, only Group names pertaining to that Batch should be passed to the Group name prompt, i.e. I wanna create a cascading prompt in this report.
I created two prompts for each of the two columns, set the cascade property as the 1st parameter for the 2nd one, and in the 2nd prompt query I added a filter: [Batch name]=?Parameter2?
Values are being passed appropriately in the prompt control, but the report is not being filtered as the values selected.
Could you tell me where I have been wrong in this?
Thanks in Advance.

cog8user,

Give us a sample of the values. It should work but perhaps you have something in your query filter that may not be working. Ok, so after they select the prompts and execute the query what kind of data are you expecting and what do you get as a result now?

-Jim

Hi Jim,
Thanks for your quick response.
I've added a query filter as I mentioned earlier.
Sample values as below:
Batch name Group name Budget Allocation
---------- ---------- -----------------
Batch 1 Group A 23000
Group B 9125
Batch 2 Group X 58700
Group Y 209
Group Z 1560
I expect data to be filtered by what values I select in these two prompts, but I see data as it is without any filtration, although prompt controls are working properly.

Could you give me an idea of what different ways we can develop cascading prompts so I can try the other ways?

Thanks.

cog8user-
Might just have been a typo, but shouldn't the prompt 2 filter reference parameter1 rather than parameter2?
Steve

cog8user,

Yes, try doing what almeids has suggested. Cog8user, do you know how to create cascading prompts? Ok, having built the prompt appropriately then go look at the query and its filter? Find out what is being sent as a query to the Cognos server. Write that in the next post and lets troubleshoot from there ok.

-Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back