Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

give it to me straight

Status
Not open for further replies.

firedragon

Technical User
Apr 12, 2001
US
will netware 6.5 give me increased admin capabillities over remote access (over netware 6 or 5)?

or are the three versions ,for the most part, the same in that area?

thanx

chris
ccna, ccda

NetWare 6.5 does come with some remote web based admin utilities: iManager, would say this is probably equivalent to Console One and Remote Manager, which allows you to manage servers remotly.

There are also the admin utilities for the other services: iFolder, iPrint, NetStorage etc.

Hope this helps..

Simon.

A lot of the stuff for NW6.5 has been greatly improved since NW6.0. You can natively access the GUI through the Remote Manager. And you have excellent control over your IP address and port configurations (Something lacking in NW6.0)

But it really depends on what specific apps you're talking about when you say "Remote Access". that's pretty general.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Marvin is right on the money. It does all depend on what type of remote access you need.

I install Novell Client on my home PC to authenticate to a remote server (no scripts/drive mappings). Then I connect to the server with Adrem's remote console software.

Worked on v4.something and up. Uses NO bandwidth. I can dialup to an ISP and use it. Then again, you can install ConsoleOne on your home PC, map a drive and run that too.

iManager in MW6.5 is much improved and does things you could only do locally before (like manage NDPS, install printers/drivers) remotely from a web browser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back