Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gis question

Status
Not open for further replies.

yatch9

Programmer
Aug 30, 2007
US
I want to convert Gentran 6.0 to Gis.
CAn somE ONE plEASE GIVE ME SOME INFORMATION HOW TO DO IT. fEW GUIDELINES WILL BE VERY HELPFUL,
THANKS

I have a same question, conversion/re-implementation of Gentran Maps to GIS maps?

Can someone guide us where to start from for this?

There are 2 separate issues, the maps, and the actual processing. The maps in Gentran can be VM, or AI depending upon when you bought Gentran, and what version was purchased. If you have an old version, the maps are VM (visual Maps). If you have a newer version, the maps are AI (Application integration. If you have an older version and have upgraded, you might have both. I have both, and according to what the instructor told me during my class, neither of these can be used in GIS natively, both map types must be rewritten, or converted to GIS AI maps. We were told that there is a tool in GIS that can help with this conversion, but each map will probably need work.

The processing in Gentran is completely different than in GIS. To process the EDI data in GIS, will require a new implementation in GIS, and none of the “Data manager” functions exist in GIS.

Hi Thanks for the reply... Do you have a link to some material/stuff where I can study more about this conversion?

If you have access to the Sterling web site for support on demand, they have a lot of documentation, but it is all about the product itself, not about how to convert from Gentran to GIS.

We have not started our plan yet, but we have enough information to know that what we have will not convert into GIS, as we will have to reimplement.

Thanks EDIdave for your information,
Can you give some guidelines how to do this reimplementation. Do you have any documentation? I do not have access to Sterling website.
Thanks alot

What is MRSUtility?
Where do we use it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back