Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gigabyte GA-7VAXP KT400 or Abit KD7-G Via KT400

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepkid

IS-IT--Management
Apr 6, 2003
US
I am looking at building a new system and i was wondering what you all had to say about what motherboard to buy i am looking at the Gigabyte GA-7VAXP KT400 and the Abit KD&-G Via KT400

Thanks for any help

Well I have the Gigabyte GA7-VAXP and I have to say I am very happy with it.
We also stock the Abit KD7-G and to be honest I love this motherboard as well.
Both are about the same performance, the Abit is probably slightly better made and has gigabyte lan with serial ATA raid where as the gigabyte has IDE raid and firewire.
The gigabytes features suited my needs better but there isn't much between these two boards, they are both very good. Martin Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Thanks for the help i am really looking foward to getting a new main board and i just want to choose the right one and comments anyone?

I guess the other comment will be why go for a Via KT400 chipset motherboard when the Nforce2 equipt boards are about 10% quicker?
My answer to that is the KT400 chipset equipt motherboards are more stable in my opinion and the Gigabyte GA7-VAXP has IDE raid and as far as I know all the Nforce2 boards have serial ATA raid which is useless unless you have two new serial ATA drives.
Soundstorm built in sound is very good on the Nforce2's and they have dual channel memory option.
If you go Nforce2 then be careful of memory make and type (very fussy on memory)
Still like my GA7-VAXP despite having used several Nforce2 boards, Asus A7N8X Deluxe, Abit NF7S and Leadteks offering (don't remember the number but pro version) Martin Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Very important! I forgot to mention that via have just released the KT400 "A" chipset said to be an improvement and a direct socket replacement for the old chip.
So if you go Via KT400 then wait a couple of weeks for boards with the sufix "A" in there title.
Martin Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back