Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gigabyte 940 Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

mupp3t

MIS
Aug 19, 2004
GB
Is it possible to put a AMD 939 processor into a Gigabyte 940 socket motherboard?

Thanks

No, only the socket that is called for can be used.
Socket 478 goes in socket 478, 939 goes in 939 and so on.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.

Sir Winston Churchill

Very choice words. I have always admired him, even though they say he was a drunk and so on.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

I have a similar question (and based on the answers above, I'm guessing the answer already):

Can I put an AMD Sempron processor (which I think is designed for socket 754) into a Socket 939?

Asked another way: is 939 backwards compatible to 754 processors?

Thanks!

Strange. I would think AMD would want to make it backwards compatible to give the most upgrade options.

Okay, thanks!

Bryan Capitano
Technical Director
Portland Design Lab, LLC.

Sorry!
Thats Socket 939 and 754 (not 940)
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Capitano,

It's not a matter of what they want, it's a matter of engineering. Each pin on a CPU provides a specific connection for a specific purpose. If all of the pins aren't connected then the CPU (or mainboard) wouldn't work. Not only that, but the pinouts can vary significantly from one generation to the next. In other words, on socket 754 pin 1 may be used for one purpose, whereas on 939 pin 1 is used for something entirely different.

Another good example is different functionality between generations. The Athlon 64 line of CPUs (Socket 754, 939, and 940) all on integrated memory controllers. On socket 754 the memory controller is only single channel. On 939 it is dual-channel. On 940 it is dual channel with registered memory. If you could plug a socket 754 CPU into a 939 board, the board would freak out because there wouldn't be a memory controller interface for the second memory channel that is physically on the board.

Furthermore, most people don't upgrade their PCs piecemeal, even though that is standard practice in the enthusiast market. From that standpoint, the considerable amount of additional engineering that would need to be done to make sockets backwards compatible would far outweigh the potential return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back