Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

gigabit - recommeded setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogsbod

Technical User
Sep 25, 2003
GB
Hi,
I'm setting up a network for <100 users. The servers all have gigabit nics and I wish to get the best possible performance (network traffic wise)

Is this a realistic setup:

1 gigabit switch, all ports gigabit ---servers on this

uplink to a gigabit port on 10\100mbps switch ---workstations on this

otherwise I don't see the benefit of a gigabit nic on the server if it plugs into a 100mps port on switch...am I correct in thinking this. What would be a good choice of switches for something like this. thanks

You mentioned best possible performance...

If I were to do this I would have a dedicated 6509, Sup720, with a mixture of fiber and copper gigabit line cards for the servers(all fabric enabled). A layer 3 multiple gig channel connection back to the core. A 4500 series switch for the client machines, with a dual gig uplink to a distribution layer box 6509, layered 3 connected back to the core.

So,

server<-->srvr-switch<-->core<-->dist-switch<--->access<--->client

why didn't I think of that. thanks

you might have 3750 24 10/100/1000 ports for you servers + uplink gigabit to 2950 10/100 for users

Actually, given the small size of the network, I don't think you should go with the 65xx/45xx solution. I have similar sized network where I just started, and will be (trying) to impliment very same thing. Depending on the number of servers, go with the 4506 or 4510R. A Sup II+ will suite your needs, unless you expect a need for more advanced routing protocols.

For 100 users, buy 3 WS-X4248-RJ45V blades. These will give 48 ports each of both Cisco pre-standard and IEEE 802.3af PoE (Power over Ethernet). (If you are ABSOLUTELY sure you NEVER use the PoE, then WS-X4148-RJ would work.

For your servers, seperate them into high and low bandwidth groups. High bandwidth would be file servers and the like.
For the low bandwidth server get a 48 10/100/100 port WS-X4548-GB-RJ45 card. For the high bandwidth servers, get 1 (or 2 if needed) WS-X4306-GB cards. This card is only 6 ports, but unlike the higher density cards, it is not oversubscribed. (The 45xx has a max of 6 gbit per slot. Putting the high useage servers on these cards will give you a FULL GIG on each port, all at the same time.

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back