Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gigabit network question

Status
Not open for further replies.

shannanl

IS-IT--Management
Apr 24, 2003
US
We currently have 3 10/100 switches and about 60 computers all running at 100/full duplex. We also have a rounter. One of our departments is going to install new equipment that will require them to move large images (large files) around each departments computers, but not out of the department. If we install a gigabit switch, cat 6 cables and 10/100/1000 nics in the departments computers, will the department be able to move the data at 1000 mps? Only the department will be on the 1000 switch and it will go into the others, etc. It is my understanding that each computer on the switch will be able to communicate with each other at 1000. Am I correct in my assumption? My coworker believes that all switches, cabling and nics in the building must be changed to 1000 in order for the department to realize 1000 mbps. I know once the departments data crosses out of the 1000 collision domain it will not be able to run at 1000 but I believe if it stays within the collision domain it can run at 1000.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Shannan

If only 1 of the switches is at 1Gbps then only computers connected into the switch with 1Gbps network cards will be able to transfer at that speed. All the other computers will be transferring at 100Mbit. Even if you are transferring large image files around 100Mbit should be more than enough for them. 1Gbps speeds tend to be for unlinks and fast server connections i dont see any reason why you would want to have 1Gbps into each computer. Also if your running Gbps ethernet over cat6 the max distance is 30meters i think other than you would have to use fibre.

First off on any switch port the collision domain ends at the switch port. Secondly if a port is set to 1000BASE-TX the port is by standard definitin set to full duplex. There are no collisions in a full duplex mode connection. What you should be considering is broadcast domains, ensure that levels of broadcast traffic are low enough as not to cause a problem.

If the server and PCs requiring 1000BASE connections are all connected to a single 1000BASE switch then the rest of the network should be unaffected unless they are trying to access resources on the same server. So if possible have all these graphics files served by a single file server if possible. The rest of your users can be connected by 100BASE-TX with no issues caused.

The other issue is that you should get your existing cabling checked. If it was CAT5E and installed to a good standard it may well work at 1000BASE get it tested if you are unsure.

The size of the files will require a 1000 connection. We will be moving large DICOM format images which may contains 100s of individual images. Sizes may range from only a few megs to a gig. Other facilities that have installed this type of equipment insist on going from 100 to 1000 as a prerequisite of this. There will be a file server within the 1000 domain.

Thanks for the info.

Shannan

You should be fine then, so long as those computers dealing with DICOM are all on the gig switch, there should be no impact to the rest of the network

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

The full potential of the Gigabit Speed will be used if the Server or Servers are also connected to the Gigabit Switch.

If the PC's are at Gigabit and the servers that these PC's access for these large files are on 10/100 the there will be a bottle neck.

The best thing to do is Put Gigabit on the PC's and in your server backbone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back