Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gigabit Ethernet

Status
Not open for further replies.

commworker

IS-IT--Management
Nov 29, 2001
US
I'm connecting up two sever rooms and want to run 1000baseT between the two. From what I understand you can run it over Cat5e, but it is not recommended. Is anyone out there successfully running 1000baseT over Cat5e? Cat6 is an expensive pain I don't want to deal with just to go 50 feet. Thanks

I have not had any luck with any copper so far, I have about 18,000 feet of fiber working fine. I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

So you just can't get the full gig to come through or it won't work at all? I was reading the white pages on gigabit ethernet and it said they designed it with the intention of it working over Cat5.

The copper gig NIC looks up the server, reboot works but rebooting your server every week looks bad. We have tried multple cables, and suspect the NIC, which is embeded. we tried different fiber to copper converters, it seems to be on the server end. I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Been working copper Gig on the backbone (Servers to Switch/Switch to sub Switches) fine for several months now.

I've got the Intel Pro 1000/T cards in Compaq 1600R's.

My maximum copper run is about 185'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back