Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

gigabit ethernet compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

pravash

IS-IT--Management
Jul 28, 2002
IN
I have a cisco 6509 switch.with 16 gigabit ethernet RJ45
port.and my machine with 10 mb is not working on that.do i have to configure anything on switch port ? when i give command like "set speed port 2/24 auto/100 "it says function not supported.is it possible that 10m would not be supported on 1gbps port? please provide me with a solution to this
with thanks

gig is gig. period. you need to come up with a 10/100 port somewhere.

Most Gigabit copper 1000BASE-TX ports should autonegotiate down to 10BASE-T. Some early implementations did not though.

TimRegester - for REAL!? i didn't know gbics kbew anything other than gig. you're sure????

GBICs cannot as you state do this, I last used a 6509 before 1000BASE-T was a standard and there were no 1000BASE-T Cisco offerings. I assumed that a 16 port RJ45 1000BASE-T mod would not use GBICS as it would be damned expensive (but then Cisco have always been damned expensive).

I have seen individual 1000BASE-T GBICS from other vendors but these are optional GBICS for GBIC capable slots.

Most gigabit capable rj45 modules/blades are 10/100/1000 now, as the flexibility is what customers like this one need.

What is the P/N of the blade in the 6500.. Should be WS-?????

I think there is a newer cisco 10/100/1000 blade that you can hard set no negotiate only 10/100 on a per port basis but no support for limiting to 10 base only from what I have seen. There is a config note from one of their pages with this information:

from Cisco page: Configuring Gigabit Ethernet Switching
"Caution Unlike autonegotiation with 10/100 Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet port negotiation does not negotiate port speed. You cannot disable port negotiation on Gigabit Ethernet ports using the set port speed command."

This page is for a 5000 series but seems to hold true for the newer models as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back