Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ghosting RH 7.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterve

IS-IT--Management
Mar 19, 2000
NL
I wanted to 'ghost' (Norton Ghost, disk duplication) my RedHat 7.3 IDE server disk to another disk. Ghost ran fine,
but after dumping to the other disk, the system didn't boot.
(I'm booting with a fresh bootdisk, I wanted to rebuild the Grub mbr, but the boot process failed.)

First of all, during boot with the floppy disk, the server says 'unable to find label=/HOME'
I went into maintenance mode, edited /etc/fstab,
replaced all label=/xxxx to the corresponding /dev/hdax
Rebooted, but now I'm getting the following error :

fsck.ext2/dev/hda1
The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem... and so on.

I used to make ghost images of my RedHat 7.1 system all the time... why doesn't it work on RedHat 7.3 ?
Or is this a 'Norton Ghost' problem ?
--------------------------------------------------------------------
How can I believe in God when just last week I got my tongue caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?
---------------------------------------------------------------------

My experience with Ghost has been sketchy a few times. Sometimes it will work great and other times the "image" has become corrupted or will choke in the middle of either copying it from the source or to the destination. Possibly bad/corrupt sectors on hdd or other hw problems is my first guess.

I've tried it on several machines (Dell Optiplex 260):
fresh installs, ghost image to fresh harddisk... none of the images worked.

I've tried PowerQuest DriveImage, and that one worked... I even didn't had to boot with a floppy first to rebuild the Grub... works great now !! --------------------------------------------------------------------
How can I believe in God when just last week I got my tongue caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?

Redhat 7.3 defaults to using the ext3 file system, and Redhat 7.1 used ext2. If you have the latest version of Ghost that should not be important, but I know ghost just started offering support for ext3.

I was able to ghost RH 7.3 with a Win2K partition on the same drive.

Grub has to be re-install once you have restored the image. Just boot the machine up with a CD and run etc.

grub-install /dev/hda

I have Ghost 2003

maybe that is the issue... I'm using Ghost 2002..
I'll try 2003 instead...

thanks to all --------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi

I faced the same problem with GHOST 6.5
SYmantec has artical abouth this ext3.

So e2fsck /dev/hda1 and tune2fs -j /dev/hda1

and reinstall grub and it will work. I am doing this for Redhat 8.0 also.

But the latest Ghost supports ext3.

Thanks

mjbad2

I used Ghost 7.5 Enterprise to successfully ghost RedHat 6.2 and 7.3, but I was using LILO as a loader, and not grub. The times I did try and ghost a Linux system with grub, I found similar problems. Also, I did the image dump via network, and restored via network, so that may be an option as well. This works well, as long as the systems are identical, and you have the appropriate NIC driver built onto the ghost boot disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back