Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ghosting over network

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsdurkes

Technical User
Oct 5, 2001
US
I have tried to Ghost my Win2K laptop to a Win2K desktop over my network. Both slave and master use Netgear NICs. I can get it to start and to about 30% complete but then error 34004 at the master and 33000 at the slave machine. Process ends. Any ideas?

Master NIC is Netgear FA510, Slave is FA310.

Thanks

I did some digging around and came across this knowledge base document from Symantec:

In short:

This problem appears to be due to drive configuration. At the computer you set as the Master computer, check the second IDE port for devices. Removing those devices or reconfiguring them as slave devices instead of master devices might resolve the problem.

The problem might also be caused by using a damaged network interface card (NIC), wrong drivers for the NIC, or incorrectly configured NIC drivers.

[yinyang] In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

On my laptop (master) I only have one drive so that isn't it. I suspect it is the last item: incorrectly configured NIC drivers but I have no idea how to configure the Ghost NIC setup other than by using their supplied wizard.

Oh well, thanks anyway for the post!

Why not put the image of the laptop to the network and once its complete, bring it down to the desktop? Do you get errors just pushing the image up?

pcheather@yahoo.com

I can't image my laptop to itself so my only option is to image the laptop to a network drive. Therein lies the problem - I can't. I am going to try using the "slow" switch to see if it is a timing issue.

can you multicast it up? sometimes when i have a problem creating an image by booting directly to the network i can get it there by multicasting...

pcheather@yahoo.com

Trying to make an image (as a master) and pushing it to a network drive (the slave machine). Not sure what you mean. I'm just trying to use Ghost to backup my PC.

oh...a personal machine/network i take it?

pcheather@yahoo.com

Yes. I have a LAN with 2 win2k and 2 win98 machines, coupla printers, scanner, etc. I use it for my work and pleasure. Sorry for the confusion.:^)

what version of ghost are you using? i'm familiar with 5.0 and up, enterprise editions. If you're using the home versions I may not be of much help...haven't even seen it to know if there is a difference...

pcheather@yahoo.com

Norton SystemWorks Professional 2001 with Ghost 6.5.

I really don't have an economical choice in backup tools besides the Ghost cpaabilities. If I had a second drive I would image there and just copy (did this on another node).

There are some problems with the Netgear FA series cards with Ghost 6.x and 7.X. If you download the new driver from Netgear.com, it works well. We had the same problem here with a fleet of 300+ machines using FA310 NICs Ghosting over a Netware 5.x network. When we used the new drivers, they all completed their ghost image. Also, when you boot, make sure to use the SHELL=command.com /E:2048 line in your config.sys, or you'll get a memory protection error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back