Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ghosting images speed issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckes101

Technical User
Feb 8, 2006
GB
Hello everyone and thank you for taking the time to look at my thread. I have a speed issue when ghosting!! Painful some might say!! Anyways...i have 50 dell GX 260's i look after. I was recently given the task of re installing all the machines xp pro o/s's(using an acronis image). Each machine has only a cd rom and the image is on a dvd. So i open each machine connect a dvd drive and i am away. Each unit takes about 15 mins. But i thought i would use an external hard drive and image from that(small laptop hard drive in a caddy connected to the dell by usb) all works great but the imaging takes 1 hour a machine. Is this right?? I thought the external hard drive would be faster than the dvd drive i connect?? Your thoughts please?? Especially if you have an idea that does not involve me opening each unit to connect a dvd drive for imaging.

Internal drives tend to be faster than external especially if you're connecting the external drive to a USB 1.0 slot. Not only that but hard drives for external devices tend to be a slow spin, probably a 4200 rpm.

The other thing you could do is get an external drive case and put your DVD rom in it and use it to image. Or you could run your Ghost images across a network which is what I do, my entire network is gigabit speed.

Just some ideas.

Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

Thats excellent advice. Thank you.I will try both options

ckes101 - I doubt you're going to be able to try the 2nd option (using Gigabit speed on the network) because if you're still running Dell GX260s, there's no money in your company to have a Gigabit network or at least that's what I'm betting.

You would also have to buy the Ghost product that is capable of imaging across the network, unless you bootleg it from someone, which I'm NOT advocating.

^^^ I meant the above in a humorous way. I feel sorry for you dealing with those old machines and even more sorry for the users using them. I thought those things were old in 2005.

Regualar Ghost 2003 can be executed and imaged from a shared drive. No special Exec version is needed and while Gig E is nice, certainly not shabby at 100MB. We do 10 machines at a time this way with the iamge stored on a plain jane XP Pro laptop. Lots of good success lith a cheapy $80 linksys NAS as well (got over the 10 concurrent shared connection user limit since it emulates NT server vs XP pro).

1. boot the machine with a dos boot disk with tcpip drivers (google tcpip boot disk).
2. map a drive to the laptop containing the share with the image and ghost.exe.
3. launch ghost.exe from the share.

-CL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back