Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ghosting an image on a single PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quimbly

Programmer
Oct 24, 2002
CA
Hi,
Here's what I'm trying to do: make a compressed image of my slave drive and put (write) it onto my master drive. To make it clear, I don't want to clone the slave drive onto the master drive (i.e. replace what is on the master drive with what's on the slave drive).

The master drive is twice the size of the slave.

When I'm done, I want to have a compressed image of the slave drive located on the master drive. I'm using Symantec's Ghost 2004.

First of all, is this even possible?

If so, does anyone know how?

I have tried using the Disk->To Image option from the Ghost bootup disk, but when it asks me where to store the image file, it only gives A:\ (the floppy) as a choice. Any ideas?

Yes Ghost (2003 I was using) can do this - but as I mentioned in another thread, you have to be sure what you're doing (I did manage to clone partition - so overwrote partition rather than wrote image to it). As it gives no 'this is what you will be doing' warning, make sure you've picked the correct option before oking.

On 2003 - Ghost Basic, back up your computer to a ghost Image file. You'll be prompted for partition/drive you want to backup and where you want to back up to.

I'm using Ghost 2004, and it doesn't appear to be doing what you suggest. What the heck?!

Haven't seen/used 2004 yet, so sorry, can't really comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back