Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ghosting a laptop? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

aceofspadz

Technical User
Nov 21, 2002
US
i have several laptops that i maintain and when they go down it is a pain in the rear to resetup th elaptop. can you create an image for the laptops and how and with what software? i appreciate all the help you can give.

Yes you can I have used Norton Ghost and it is so easy and fast you need to buy it. It creates a mirror image of a drive, I do it for my customers. Just in case they have a hard drive go. It is a must for a company.
Hope that helps.
Cindy [2thumbsup]

You can always physically unplug the hard drive and get yourself a 44pin to 40pin laptop ide converter. This device will allow you to connect your laptop hd to a standard IDE cable in your desktop pc. Not the easiest solution but I do it when a customer brings in a dead laptop but needs the data on the hd will the laptop is in repair.

If you want to use Ghost on the laptop, you must repartition the drive to create a spare logical drive to hold the image of your main HD. The last time I checked, you couldn't put an image file of a hd on the same logical drive that you are cloning. Sounds confusing ??? If you want to clone/create image of your c:, you must select a different destination drive.

i have researched norton ghost and of course they said it would work but the new problem is that the cd-key will be the same for each laptop and this will cause tons of problems on the network. is there a way to change the cd-keys after i have ghosted the machines?

also all the machine are identical.

Which CD-Key are you talking about;
norton ghost or operating system?

As far as I am aware the duplication of CD-Key of either application will not hinder performance on a network.

I would apreciate you posting to put me right and giving me a bit of education.

Thanks.

with the exact same cd key the computers on the network will not work. their is an message that appears that says that their is an duplicate computer on the network. to fix this problem please re-install with a proper cd-key. also, since this is for my company we come into face that there is liscencing conflicts for legality purpose.

There is not an issue with the CD key itself.. have used Ghost in a 800 user network and have never seen this problem.

You kmust, however, make sure you change the computer name and IP (if using static addressing.

There is a license issue with regards to how many machines you can ghost but this is not limited by the software. also speaking to various poeople they aren't sure if the license relates to the number of images you old or the number of machines ghosted.

hope that helps

Ok, I believe you.

A couple of points.

1. If all the machines are the same then the product only needs to be used to backup 1 machine, it's image can then be ghosted onto the others ie. the application restores from dos, it doesn't need to be installed on the target machine.
2. You can always take the application off the machine after you have used it.

Finally, 3 - If licencing fees are a problem then you are snookered.

Regards.

Mtaylor511,
I believe you as well (as that more closely represents my experiences).

;-)

Regards.

I doubt that a single image will suffice across multiple laptops unless they are EXACLY the same, and carrying the same OS. I would suggest dedicating image storage space for each machine (if possible), and get in the habit of getting the machine back a couple weeks after a load to work out any bugs and get the image.

Coupla hints:

You'll like it better working off a testbench in clean DOS rather than from a floppy. I use 98SE altered to boot direct to DOS. You'll need a mini-IDE to STD-IDE adapter to handle 2.5" drives.

DEFRAG first.

Either build the Partition as small as possible, or use PQ Magic to shrink it before imaging- no sense storing a 20G image to hold 4G of data.

Check out PQ DriveImage. It's got a nice interface and it compresses and uncompresses well.

Lemme know if I can help.

Bruce

If your using Windows NT 4 with Norton Ghost clones on a network there is a program called GHOST WALKER which you should run after cloning your laptops.

This program goes through the registry of your cloned machine changing all references to the machine name and giving each machine a unique SID on the network.

The primary design goal of Ghost Walker is to update every instance of the Security Identifier (SID) for an NT Workstation so that it appears to have assumed a new unique identity to an NT Server.

This requirement has arisen as a direct result of:

A. The loss of uniqueness of an NT Workstation's SID following disk cloning.

B. Widely reported MS publicity that NT Version 5 would not support NT Workstations bearing non-unique SIDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back