Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ghost win 98 to win xp !! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

George54

MIS
Nov 4, 2002
GB
ill try to explain as best i can....
My friend wanted a Dual operating system on his 30 gig HDD so i put his unit into my pc and created a GHOST of his entire drive(only 3 gigs to copy from his HDD)on my 75 gig HDD. Now i have put his HDD back into his box and Installed win98 FAT32 on one drive (9gigs) and win xp proffesional ntfs on the other 20 gigs. So now i have everything up and running smooth i want to re-install the ghost image back to the win 98 section of the partition(used fdisk to partition the drive) but my HDD is in NTFS and win 98 is in FAT32 what should i do next??
I am willing to install both operating systems again if necessary!

Can you explain a bit more please. Is your friend's 'current' o/s (the one you ghosted) 98? If so, what you need to do is start again - copying back the ghosted image to the 9GB partition (the fact you are running on ntfs is immaterial - as the image will be of the 98 fat32 partition). After you make seure this boots properly, install XP on the second 20GB partition. It will create a dual boot menu during install. If you just 'overwrite' the fresh 98 installation with the image of original, you'll lose dual boot (XP won't boot) - as XP's boot sector is on the 98 partition & you'll wipe it.

If original was XP, then a bit more complicated to set up dual boot, unless you use a third party boot manager.

Post back if you need more.

Thanks for your reply...
I did ghost my friends operating system on to my hard drive .Then i formatted his drive and installed win98 on the 9gig partition(using fdisk to partition), then installed winxp on the remaining partition of his 30 gig HDD.
I then closed down the pc and put my hard drive into his pc expecting to "ghost" the files back onto the win98 partition therby replacing all his original stuff !!
But after i re-booted the pc my HDD was not showing in win98 but it does show in win xp which says "Format drive" when i click on it to look for the Ghost image!.
This is why i thought the NTFS/FAT32 was incompatable and i had cocked it up....?.

Standard Ghost from the Norton System Utilities will not image NTFS. You must use Norton Corp Edition or 2003.

i have not imaged ntfs! it was fat 32 on my mates HHd that i have done onto my drive which is ntfs! is that alright or will it not work..??

George54 - I think you need to put HIS drive back in your machine (as slave). You still haven't said which operating system is on his ghosted image - but I'm assuming 98 (again). In fact you really shouldn't have taken it out of your machine. After ghosting image to your hard drive, you needed to wipe his hard drive, then ghost it back, but to 9GB partition, rather than whole drive. Then put it back in his machine - and make sure it boots/works (it should, but you may need to recreate boot sector). Once it works, just install XP in the 20GB as mentioned before. Should now have dual boot - with original win98 & new XP. The unnecesary step was creating a new 98 install.

As I said before, if ghosted operating system is XP its a bit more complicated/use a third party boot manager. In this case post back & I'll explain.

OK.. thanks Wolluf.
So i have been going about it the wrong way(still learning!). Ill put his HDD (yes win98 ghost) back in my machine and format the 9 gig partition then using the ghost image on my HDD re-place the 9gigs with the image..!
Not sure what you mean about "Boot sector " can you please explain a little further.

I've seen posts where a restored ghosted partition (which included an operating system) wouldn't boot (haven't actually seen this myself). Had somehow lost/corruped the boot sector (area of disk which holds the files needed to boot). A simple boot from win98 boot floppy and run sys C: (which writes new boot sector for win98) fixed it. Only pertinent if your restored ghost image won't boot (hopefully it just will!).

PS. The 9GB partition will need to be active as well, of course.

Wolluf..Success..!!! I have installed both operating systems and they are both running smooth and independant...!!
I did as you said and ran fdisk to allow the drive a little more space for win 98.Then Ghosted the drive back onto the partition without any complications (including Boot sector). Then installed xp on the other.
You mentioned using a third party partitioner for doing the same "Ghost" for win xp. I wouldnt mind putting two systems on my own pc now i feel confident enough to do this..
Thanks for all the help you have given to me . GEORGE54

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back