Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GHOST steps for Win NT 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 28, 2003
US
Here is my situation:

I have a Win NT server with 2 SCSI Drives, both drives have 4 partitions. On one of the drives the previous SA partitioned C as a 2G drive.

I would like to GHOST the C partition, and then restore it to a new 6G SCSI drive, and boot the Server on this drive.

Can I ghost and restore just a partition?
How can I boot the Server to the new drive?

Any tips and hints would be appreciated.

in the scsi bios i think you can change which drive is the boot drive. write down the settings first.

You *can* ghost/restore just partitions.

For ghost to work with scsi drives you need to make sure a dos scsi driver is loaded b4 you run ghost.

===============
Security Forums

Does it matter what version of Ghost I use? Ghost 2003? Ghost 7.5 Corp?

i think some personal versions of ghost dont like restoring to/from a network drive.

i'd use 7.5 corp. i dont know much about 2003.

===============
Security Forums

I believe from previous experience, you can only Ghost a partition back to a same size partition. I might be wrong but the last time I did it (Version 6.03) I was able to ghost my 3GB partition to a 9GB disk and it copied the same partition size and would not let me increase the size of my C:

that's right.
Tools such as partition magic will let you alter the partition size afterwards.

===============
Security Forums

Maybe I'm wrong, but you can't use partition magic on a server. You have to use server magic. I'm not even really sure you can use ghost on a server. Try powerquest V2I protector. It images partions and it's made especially for servers.

ah ha this thread's been going so long i forgot it was a server we're talking about.

you can ghost servers tho.

===============
Security Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back