Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ghost problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deuce

MIS
Oct 3, 2002
CA
Hello
I've been using ghost for about 4 years now without any bigger problems.I used it on Dells,Compaq's,clones,laptops and so on and it use to be really good and fast cloning solution.I have recently changed my job and since then I haven't been able to ghost a single pc.
Most of the computers here are Win95,98 or NT installed on FAT32 or FAT partitions,no NTFS at all.
I'm trying to deploy W2K Pro to all of my desktops using ghost.machines that I;m trying to ghost range anywhere from PP200 to P4 or AMD.I've created couple of images with W2K Pro (NTFS) and Office XP and everytime I ghost a machine I either get blue screen with Inaccessible boot device error or machine keeps rebooting.I have tried most of the switches,recreating mbr but noone of it works.Image is created froma partition to an image and it's being deployed from an image to a partition and all of the partitions are 10GB.I have tred booting with network disk,cdrom and no luck.
If anyone could shed some light on this it would be appreciated.

Thx

I'm not sure what version you have, but I have found that with symantec v7.5 the only time that you will blue screen is if you aren't matching the video card drivers, or brand of processor. the client must have the exact same vid card as the pc that you took the image from, and as long as you have the same type of processor you should be fine. if that's not it then you might have a bad copy of ghost.

Hi, I got the same problems with win2k pro on some Workstations. Win2k is a little bit touchy in combination with ghost cloning.

The reboot effect is known by Symantec Support, check this link:

I think, if you write, that you got problems with different PCs, it could be the BIOS version problem. In our case it was a problem with the incompatibility of an ASUS BIOS version (1005)and an IBM 40 GB harddrive (Model: IC35L040AVVN07-0). Later BIOS versions at the same board works without a problem, because the source image was made on a BIOS rev.1006Beta2 and higher versions seem to be unaffected.

You should try the sysprep tool, maybe it help you to fix it.

If your Source for the Win2k image has more than one partition, you must have normally the same number of partitions on the target PC (Size doesn't matter. Create it with gdisk, its a part of the Ghost Distribution and is able to quickformat the Partition in FAT 32.

Hope it will help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back