Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ghost problems with IBM xSeries 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

PGNMAN

MIS
Dec 19, 2001
US
I am using the ServerGuide 6.06 CD to setup the drives. The IBM partition is created and I continue through the ServerGuide version of the Win2k installation (which is bad by the way...) NOTE: I also used UpdateXpress CD v1.04 to update my firmware.

I install Win2k Server and a few apps - we are creating a base image for all of our servers - and then I run SYSPREP and image the partition with Ghost. Then we are installing apps onto the new server that has been created from the image to create machines with exchange, web, infrastructure, application.

I create a Ghost image of the partition - not the entire disk, since I am using this image for serveral models (x342, x360, x232)

On the new machine, I boot with the ServerGuide CD and wipe the drives clean and re-initialize the array. I create a RAID1 set for the OS and RAID 5 the rest of the drives (I have tried different combinations of RAID1 & RAID5 to see if this may have been the problem). I then create the system partition and exit ServerGuide. I boot from a network diskette and map a drive to the share with my image. I run Ghost and click Local/Partition/From Image and then create a partition and pull down the image. When I reboot the machine, I get the message &quot;Windows 2000 could not statr because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows 2000 Root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe&quot;

I follow the procedure AGAIN, and put the same Ghost image on top of the same partition I just created, and it starts jsut fine. I have been pestering IBM for 2 months and they have not responded. Any help would be appreciated,

Thank you

Tom Barnett

Hello Tom,
we have the same problem with our server but we know that it has nothing to do with the server type. You cannot ghost RAID 5 disk. If you go on Symantec site, you will see that ghost, even 2002, doesn't support RAID 5 configuration.

Sorry but we don't have the solution to clone RAID 5 disk. Do you ???

That is bunk about ghosting RAID 5. I had the same problem with exactly the same hardware. What happens is the IBM utility partion can get reversed when you reconfigure the RAID controller. Use remote recover utility to gain access to the drive after you get the error. The util will enable you to mount a NTFS part. over the network. Then edit the BOOT.ini file to the correct partition and reboot. Let me know if it works for you. And by the way how did you get yuour server to work with multicast?

Hello ..

I am having IBM 4500R servers and x 330 series of servers with IBM RAID 4M/4L card on this and configured with RAID 5

I am not able to take the Image of this , I am using Norton Ghost 7.5

Could you please give me the steps and procedure to do the same

Thanking you in advance

Sameer babu

I ended up modifying BOOT.INI and adding another boot sequence using partition 2. Apparently, sysprep is at fault here - it does not recognize the IBM system partition (I've made it visible with the same results) and tries to boot onto partition 1.

After I pull down a Ghost image, I boot to my &quot;backup&quot; and then modify BOOT.INI to boot from partition 2. Problem solved - still a huge pain....

Hi,

We have an IBM xSeries 342 with a RAID 5 configuration that we would like to image using Ghost 7.5 (yes I know Ghost does not support RAID, but we seem to have no problems with our DELL servers using RAID). We would like to create an image of the system partition C: and then dump it to another local FAT partition but we cannot get past the step in Ghost where you select the physical drive or array in this case - Ghost just freezes up. Any help in this matter would be appreciated.

I suggest you post this in the operating system specific forum.

I met same problem to ghost win2000 on the Raid-5.
But now it is soluted.
First, change the config.sys with the following.

Then,
Using ghost.exe. But when you select the destination folder, it is very slowly. Pls waiting for a long time. Maybe 20mins, I don't know. It was working after I had lunch.

Hope it is helpful to you.

I have several IBM (and other) servers. Some 330's, 342's, 350's and a 4500. I have Raid 5 on all but the 330's. I am useing Ghost7.5. The only machines I have an issue with are the 342's. Ghost just hangs the machine when I select a drive... same as trevis from May 22. I am booting from a floppy and trying to ghost 1 partition into an immage on another partition. I have had no issues ghosting any other raid controlers, and didn't notice anything different with the 342's... Am going now to try the Config.sys update...

When I follow the instructions for the exclusion of EMS memory, Ghost 7.5 reports no DPMI available on boot up. Of course this makes sense, but I don't understand why it can't work without it.

I am using the ghost boot wizard to create the boot disk, then adding the emm386.exe driver and changing config.sys - and that's it.

Any ideas why this might be occuring?

I am having trouble with ghosting my Striped Raid drive thinking probably raid 0 or 1. I am using Norton Ghost 2002 and i can't get it to work. Do you have any ideas how i can ghost this to back up this needed info?

thanks

OK, the IBM link shown in a previous post is dead. What is the change to the config.sys file?

The command lines in config.sys and autoexec.bat to get ghost to work is:

config.sys:

device=himem.sys
device=emm386.exe noems i=b000-b7ff
dos=umb
files=100
buffers=30
DEVICE = ibmidecd.sys /D:cd1
LASTDRIVE=Z

autoexec.bat

smartdrv.exe /x
@echo off
MOUSE.COM
LH \MSCDEX.EXE /D:cd1 /L:Z

I had the same problem as JeffBart (Visitor) May 31, 2002. I have a ibm x342 Serveraid v4.84 with two 36GB configured as RAID 1. When I tried to select the drive with ghost v7.5 it would hang. Using the config.sys and autoexec.bat defined earlier it fixed the problem. BTW it was a Windows 98 boot disk.

Thanks everyone who contributed, it got me out of jail.
:)

i gon thorough u r problem.
i used ghost mathod for dell server with raid 5 and raid 1,and then restored again on on same server it worked fine. i restored raid 5 on raid 1.

I think the problem is with the raid adapter. Ghost in my testing does not like the ServeRAID adapter. I could ghost fine with a winme boot disk and ghost 7.0 using an Adaptec adapter.

I cannot believe that one line makes all the difference. As an addition, anyone managed to get a TCP/IP boot disk to work with this model? It hangs on either the TCPSTR or the net start. I tried the line above and it makes no difference to the outcome.

Any ideas?

I now have the problem with an IBM Xseries330 with ServeRaidcontroller 4Lx, two disks configured as mirror. Ghost 7.5 hangs as soon as I want to select the disk, which is visible, and press OK.

Several switches at ghost-startup don't help. I tried to modify the autoexec.bat and config.sys as above on a 98 bootdisk, but so far no go.

I do get an error on line:
device=emm386.exe noems i=b000-b7ff

but I don't get it.

Anyone??

thanks
Roland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back