Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ghost or Drive Image

Status
Not open for further replies.

kathanon

Technical User
Jan 29, 2002
GB
Hi, just wondering what people think about using ghost or drive image. I have a new pc and want to image the drive. I am not sure what the differences are between the two programs and what are the advantages and disadvantages.

Thanks

Kathy

Kathy,

I have never used Norton Ghost. I have, however, been using Power Quest Drive Image for the past 4 years and I love it. I am in an environment where we replace 1/3 of our PC's every year. We never use a factory load, so the first thing I do when I get a new PC is delpart and load Windows 2000 from scratch along with all service packs, security patches, and user apps. Once I do this for a particular make and model of PC I just use Drive Image to create an image that I use to clone the rest of the same make/model. All I have to do is change the computer name on each one and it's ready to go as a network workstation. Occasionally I use it for backup, too.

Best regards,
Celeste

To give another opinion, I've only used Ghost and find it very helpful. From an administrative perspective, it allows you to push or pull an image to/from a pc from one location say the server. If you don't need specific computer names, ghost will generate a completly random name for you. It works with windows sysprep clearing sid's which can be a factor when working with domains.

I too use Ghost. I have found it to cut time on rebuilds down significantly. I also use it to resize partitions and mirror HDDs.

Advantages: You can deploy over the network, from a CD, or to another HDD located in the same machine.

Disadvantages: Hard to use with Laptops with PCMCIA network cards. Forgetting to do a sysprep. :p

Also make sure the Mainboards on the machines are VERY similar and if you use NT try to keep the other hardware components similar too.

The Clueless

Thanks everyone, that is really helpful. I am going to try both out. I already know a bit about Drive Image and like it, but have heard very good things about Ghost too.

Kathy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back