Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ghost Console

Status
Not open for further replies.

downloadkid

IS-IT--Management
Dec 12, 2004
GB
Hello everyone - second issue.....
I use ghost console and sysprep extensively to reimage suites on a fairly regualr basis. Each suite is assigned a particular image and deployed via Ghost console. the console allows you to save the PC config prior to reimaging so that when complete the config is restored, ie computer name.
Sysprep uses the ini to configure the PC, PnP and join the machine to the domain.
By default during the image process I remove from AD, DHCP and DNS the names of the machines, after the image is complete the machines can be found in the default 'Computers' folder in AD which are then subsequently moved to the correct OU.
The other day whilst imaging a suite i was side tracked and omitted to remove the PCs from AD. When the imaging had completed the PCs were part of the domain, with no logon or authentication issues, further were in the correct OU.
So my question is, is it necessary to remove the PCs from AD in the first place?
cheers

Just stumbled across this - but may help anyway.

No, you don't have to delete the computer accounts, but you should reset them (right-click and you'll see the option, do one @ a time).

Computer accounts are just like user accounts, so the best practice is to reset them if imaging them. This will save time as you don't have to remember what groups/ou it was in.

hope this helps.

Not really, AD is quite intelligent to work it out, it's not like NT4. But is always better to do so. Depends on how long it takes, not very long i would presume.

Afternoon Peeps
did a litle more research and responses are a bit of a mixed bag to say the least. So to save any 'potential' issues I delete the computers in the OU and reasign them once the ghost is complete.

cheers

Downloadkid
question?
which suite are you using. i ask because i'm having problems using the console.
i have both suite 1 & 2

haitianfella

I've been using the v1 Solution suite, what problems are you getting?

maybe i just don't know how to use the damn thing but once start i start a task the message comes on the computer that i'm trying to image once the countdown is complete the console says task failed.

Ok if I'm reading you right, after the console has sent the image it says its failed in the log and the PC i take it is unbootable?
That being the case you need to make sure the 'ghost client.msi' is installed on the image you have created, if it isn't and you send a ghost to a machine it will fail.

when it says in the log its failed double click on the red cross to bring up the log - in the log what specifically does it say thge problem was?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back