Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ghost and XP Clone on same machine and reboot loop

Status
Not open for further replies.

faceh

MIS
Jul 17, 2001
US
Has anyone seen this problem.

I have a dell power edge 400sc I have installed XP on this machine and every single MS update / office and antivirus and all the tools. I create an image of this machine on the 2nd partition on the same drive so lets say on D:
Then I resotred the image from the 2nd partition to the first.
The system boots fine but as soon as it logs in it reboots it self "NO BUG CHECKS" "NO BSOD" I have tried restoring with the -FDSP and also reinstalled everything manually and created a new image and tried restoring to another drive I'm not using sysprep since I'm only restoring to 1 machine.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT I"M DOING WRONG.
Safe mode and last known good do not work on safe mode it hangs on agp440.sys

Hmm Okay let me clarify a bit.

The orginal OS is working fine it has no issues meaning the original hard drive with the os on the 1st partition is working fine it does not reboot even after a ghosting event. The reboots happen right after I clone from the image back to the hard drive the image can be on another drive and will still do the same thing. So I dont think its hardware related because I'm cloning back to the same machine.

I went through the article but I'm not sure how it applies becuase again the orig OS on the same machine is working fine with no issues.
I saw this link but it makes you register for the answer but for some reason I feel that my answer is here

It is not too hard to register at Experts Exchange (and it is free).

While there was a good description of a problem similar to yours, the poster was also using boot managers in the setup he had.

Replies to his question were along the lines of -

"Comment from CrazyOne
Date: 02/01/2003 12:33PM PST
Comment

I think the whole problem stems from changing the partition arrangements around after you have cloned. XP is very literal in what it sees and when it isn't the way it was prior to the cloning it doesn't know how to deal with it. Sometimes you can correct this by running the repair on the XP installation.

Repair
How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP

Visual aid to the above procedure
Click on How To Run a Repair Install "

There was no clear cut solution posted.

Okay I resolved it somewhat. I ran sysprep and now the cloned hard drive doesn't reboot but I still get one quick bsod before everything is back to normal but atleast this way it does what I need. I still dont understand why it was rebooting like that when i did a clone I have other machines that I have tried this one and they dont have an issue. I managed to catch the stop code 0x73 and the file possibly linked to sygate firewall so I'm going to uninstall the and see if the bsod goes away in general. Thanks for all the help and I'll post 1 more response with my results soon.

Change your HAL , device manager>computer> (ACPI Uniprocessor) to Advanced Configuration and power Interface (ACPI)Pc. This i fix most BlOD when using Sysprep! another BLOD problem is when using sysprep you need to put buildmassstorage devices in the Sysprep.inf

[SysprepMassStorage]

buildmassstorage=yes

Hope this helps, it did for me!!!
ONE IMAGE 15 different hardware platforms, including 4 different laptops. :)

so far no problems...

OKAY PROBLEM RESOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is what I was doing..

I landed a computer with WXPPRO and configured it with all the apps that I needed including Sygate personal firewall/Office 2003/Windvd and all the patches...

Run Ghost 7.5 clone the machine to an img file on the 2nd partition. Once that is done now I can use any HD or the same drive to deploy that "image" back and have the same setup.

Unfortunately when I did it on this machine it started rebooting. Also this machine supports Hyperthreading so I was afraid that there was a device conflict so i disabled hyperthreading also disabled all legacy switched to uniproc HAL in the hopes that my problem was HW related. Then I gave up and upon a suggestion ran sysprep which allowed me to get further but did 1 BSOD which after I ran it I found the file that it was BSOD on. I quickly found out it was sygate.

Went back to the original image uninstalled the sygate and re ran ghost and image and tada... " NO MORE REBOOTS"

I'm detaling this so if anyone in the future gets a similar problem look at your apps first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back