Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ghost 7.5 Corporate Windows 2000 Pro 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSASpace

IS-IT--Management
Aug 13, 2003
CA
Hi there,
Have any of you had problems restoring Ghost images where the Domain no longer recognizes the machine anymore.

Basically, I have 10 desktops with one image each. The image was taken while it was added to the Domain. So the image is restore onto the same machine from which it was created.

But sometime it may be weeks on maybe even a couple of months before we need to restore the machines.
Problem is that when we do restore it, the Domain no longer accepts it. But during the initial testing of restoring the image, it worked ?

>Problem is that when we do restore it, the Domain no >longer accepts it. But during the initial testing of >restoring the image, it worked ?

That be the tombstoning of the RIDs in the SIDs. :)

I don't know the exact mechanics but believe its something like this...
Basically each machine is given a secure interfier (SID), over time these are changed slightly (on both the server & workstation). When you reimage the image it still has the original SID which over time has been toombstoned (ie. disallowed access on the servers end). Its too promote a secure environment.

The solutions...

a Short Term) Run SYSPREP on these stations machines that are giving you problems. This will resid the machines up and reinstall the drivers. You will not lose anything else.

b Long term) Forget about 10 images. You install 1 machine, install all the apps etc, then run SYSPREP. You then use norton to copy this image. The image can then be used on all machines that use the same mass storage device.

Typing SYSPREP into google should give you all the information you need, otherwise yell.

Or, simply delete the machine name in AD while ghost is in process, then sign in as local administrator and re-add it to the domain.

SYSPREP is usually more trouble than it's worth.

The problem is most likely that the machine password has changed since the image was created. If you lay down the new image, it has an old password that is no longer valid. Removing and readdint it to the domain should be all you need to do. I had the same problem with a machine I restored from a backup tape that was a year old. I removed and readded it and all was well.

I've used sysprep for sometime now and would agree with ashpp's original post. Sysprep has worked wonders for me. I would recommend taking the machine out of the domain prior to creating the image though, then when you reload the image join the domain using the same name you had before. I haven't had any problems this way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back