Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ghost 7.5 and boot disk help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnymc

Technical User
Aug 28, 2002
US
I recently purchased Symantec Ghost 7.5 to image all our incoming PC's. We purchase the same model PC's (Compaq EVO's)for everyone and we have a ton of applications the users need installed, imaging seemed like the answer. Ghost was highly recommended to us but now that we bought it we can not create a boot disk. Our PC's have the Intel Pro 100 integrated NIC and we can not get a boot disk to work with this NIC.
I have contacted Symantec and other users have complained to them with the same problem, here is their reply:

John, if you are encountering problems that occur at bind-time, you will have to contact the manufacturer of the NIC for assistance. There is no information on this topic in the Ghost Knowledge Base because Symantec does not provide support for Intel Pro NIC's. Support of this nature is the responsibility of the NIC manufacturer and/or driver vendor.

Please let us know if you need additional assistance with Ghost.

Regards,

Stephen May
Symantec Online Technical Support

Ok, so I go to Compaq and this is what I get:

We suggest that you download and install the latest NDIS drivers from the Intel web site and check if the issue persists. Please visit the link below given to download the NDIS (DOS) drivers: <Also, Compaq/HP does not recommend Ghosting/Imaging to be performed on Compaq computers.

I went to the site they recommended and used the new drivers but still nothing! Has anyone been able to make a boot disk for Compaqs NIC???
I still find it hard to believe that Symantec puts out a product not usable by the majority of Compaq PC's. I really feel they should inform you of this issue before you purchase their product!

Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Check out this link. The info should help. We have rolled out about 150 Compaq Evos using Ghost.

thread751-569247

I had the same problem (Ghost 7.5 and intel Pro 100 VE) and looked at Barts Boot Disks and a few other solutions, which I have been assured will do the job. But before I tried them I looked on under support downloads and drivers and found a really easy solution. Type in the name of the card in my case the 100 VE. Then select OS as DOS. Two self extracting exe files are on offer PRODOS.EXE and PRODOS2.EXE. Choose the second one. In the ZIP you will find a detailed text file describing the fix. Basically you just create a ghost boot disk in the normal fashion. then delete the old driver file from the floppy and replace it with the new one, and hey presto the problem is solved. I was paranoid enough to also specify some parameters when I made the boot disk Hmmm . think it was -fn but hey it is in the text file supplied by intel. Cheers Lupus

johnnymc,

We clone all our EVO D500's, D510's and D510's using Ghost 7.5.

The problem may probably be with the version of e100b.dos (in the A:\NET folder), of which there are several.

If you still can't get it to work then post back with the Evo model no:.

Hope this helps...

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back