Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GFX Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilasser

Technical User
Jan 8, 2005
GB

just finished a new build. New mother board does not have vga. So I got a gfx card and put it in to the agp. But nothing on the screen because the card has drivers to be installed. How can I now Install The OS and drivers for the gfx without being able to connect a vdu? When I power up the system there every thing switches on but nothing is on the vdu.

The video drivers are just for when you are operating within an operating system. Before that happens, the computer automatically boots into 640x480 resolution. You should be able to boot into the bios screen with just a power supply, motherboard, memory, and video card. Do you even see a response on the screen of your memory and BIOS type? If not, first reset the bios jumper (refer to manual). Next, check to see if the vid card is COMPLETELY plugged in, some of these new AGP cards actually "snap" in (like the memory sticks). Do you get any "beeps" from the motherboard speaker?

When I switch on there are no beeps or anything on screen the only thing that happens is that fans,drives and power light comes on.

What I have:
CPU: Pentium 4 3.2GHz 478P 800MHz 0.09u 1Mb Cache
Intel P/N:BX80546PG3200E

Main Board: ECS 648FX-A Pentium 4 Motherboard

You don't mention memory, is it the correct type and speed? What is the FSb set at? (if you don't know what I'm talking about, talk to someone who does) What BIOS? No beeps shows a CPU, BIOS, or memory problem. Anything else should give you a beep code. Reseat CPU, reset BIOS jumper (is it in reset or run position?) Some motherboards ship in "reset" position, and make sure the memory is inserted completely (should "snap" into position).

RAM is two sticks of 256MB, DDR, CL2.5 333MHz

kilasser
You need PC3200 (DDR400) ideally for a P4 800fsb CPU.

Also this looks like a Prescott Core Intel P4 3.2?
Is your motherboard Prescott ready? many are not! and won't post.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Also, what type of video card did you install? Like micker said, make sure the video card is completely plugged in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back