Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GFI Outlet 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sch3j

Programmer
Dec 17, 2003
US
This question is a a bit 'off-topic' relating to wiring closets, but I figure a master electrician must be on here somewhere. I generally get good advice here, so I am going to throw this out there.

I have a powder room that has NO electrical outlets. A home inspector is telling me this is a violation because I don't have a GFI outlet. Now, I fully appreciate that if there was an outlet that was not GFI protected, it would need to be fixed.

But with no outlet at all, how can this possibly be a hazard that needs to be corrected?

Is it REQUIRED that all half-bathrooms have an outlet?

All new bathroom outlet receptacles must be GFCI protected, and 20 ampere rated (assuming, they are installed on #12 wire).

* Each bathroom sink must have a GFCI receptacle located within 3’ from its outside edge.

Having an outlet w/in 3ft prevents the temptation to stretch out or improvise an extension for a hair dryer cord, curling iron cord, electric tooth brush charger cord, electric razor or razor charger and like corded items. Hazards mitigated include trip/fall and recoil/movement of cords pulling current drawing devices in basin or bowl.

I have found that it depends on where you live. In North Carolina, USA, yes, you must have an outlet and it must be within 3' of the sink. However, other states don't require that you have an outlet at all. Check your local building codes, if you're in America. If not, check your country's codes.

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

The real issue here is the difference between a "bathroom" where one is likely to wash & dry hair or shave and a simple "powder room" where there is just a toilet and a sink to wash your hands afterwards. The latter should be OK with no outlet at all, but I can see how the code is trying to close loopholes / grey areas by requiring GFCI's at all sinks.

Thanks for the input.

The bathroom is a standard powder room. There is a sink and a toilet. It is on the lower level of a 3-story townhome and there is no bedroom on this floor.

The property is located in Loudoun County, VA if anyone has any idea what the code requirements are for this county/state.

Thanks!!

This may provide your answer: one 20A, 120V branch circuit must be provided for the receptacle outlets required by 210.52(D) for a dwelling unit bathroom. This 20A bathroom receptacle circuit must not serve any other outlet, such as bathroom lighting outlets or receptacles in other rooms. However, it can feed the receptacle outlets in multiple bathrooms, which can be fed from the load side of a GFCI receptacle from the first bathroom [210.8(A)(1) and 210.11(C)(3)] or a GFCI circuit breaker.

NOTE: A 15A, 125V receptacle is rated for 20A feed-through, so it can be used for this purpose [210.21(B)(3).
EXCEPTION: A single 20A, 120V branch circuit is permitted to supply all of the outlets in a single bathroom, as long as no single load fastened in place is rated more than 10A [210.23(A)].

It would not be considered a hazard, but a building code or NEC code violation in that it is "required" to have one GFCI receptacle or one meeting the NEC requirements as stated above. It would be best to check with the AHJ for your area as to what they have for requirements. Some jurisdictions have their own code, or adopt portions of the NEC. But the NEC is the default code! I believe the definition of "bathroom" includes all variations.

Most of these people with the title of "home inspector" have very little, if any knowledge of the NEC and the difference between hazard and requirement!

Hope this helps!

....JIM....

Robertjo
Thanks for the heads up on the ENG-tips web site. i have had a few times I have had questions that would have been a good resource.
Are their any more sister sites we should know about?

T.R.
RCDD

there may not be any stupid questions
but their is a bunch of inquizative idiots
(myself included at times)

I don't know of any other "sister" sites, but I will keep my ears open...

The "interpetation" of the code (and the code is local, but may, and often does, include the National Electric Code (NEC)) is completely up to the "authority having jurisdiction" namely the inspector.

You may be able to get a second inspector to give an opinion, but odds are s/he will not want to over-ride the demand of a colleague.

-------------------------------------------

TIP: If you ask a better question, you will get a better reply. Be specific so we can help!

Status
Not open for further replies.