Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting Time to Interact with Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoe99

Programmer
May 11, 2001
US
I am making a movie in which there is a forestry scene that lights up and dims based upon the time of the day outside. For example, during the crack of dawn, it is dark and blue outside and the trees are like that too, and during the evening, it is more orange and yellow. Is there a way to get the time of the day and make it interact with the scene, based on the time the user views it? If so, please explain to me the general or specific way to go about it. Thanx.

hi Hien

take a look at the post I made last night to Carl, regarding a clock in F5. All you would have to do is use an IF statement on the hours variable, ie: IF /:hours>18 then you would initiate the PM version of your site, otherwise, the daytime version would initiate.

dave davdesign@pinkzeppelin.com

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hey Dave, I wrote you some email couple weeks ago, I don't know if you got it or not, but I have some new updates to my website. You've been lots of help!

hi Hein

I got your e-mail, thanks, but haven't had a chance to check it out because of the virus. I'll have a look in the next couple of days.

best of luck

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Is it possible to make the colors of the atmosphere (trees and all) change incremently as the day went by? I pictured in mind a gradual transition of the colors, not just a daytime or nighttime type deal.

(what is this virus you're talking about Dave?)

hi again Hein

Likewise with the trees, you could use the number of 'hours' to set the Alpha property of any movie-clip. Wouldn't fancy messing around with multiple RGB-setting though, you'd be writing code for ages to make sure you're colour tints were right for every mc.

Virus: couple of weeks ago, lost everything! Company ground to a virtual standstill for 6 days.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

just had a thought, you could have a big dark-blue rectangle mc covering the movie and just alter the alpha property of it relating to the hours variable.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dave:

#1: glad you're back!
#2: got my form feedback problem worked out; and I'm using your code. Thanks again!

#3: While we're on the subject, what about getting time &/or date in Flash4? Developing a site w/ Flash4 compatibility, I find it frustrating to try to load text from a text file based on the date (like an auto-updating calendar, or some such).

I tried going the route of using java to get the system date and pass it as a parameter to the flash movie in the HTML shell code, as described on moock.com, but I got lost along the way.

Has anyone out there run into this? Any ideas? The java solution is fine with me, if I can just get it to work.

Bill.

Nevermind, guys and gals. I just read a previous post on the subject, and I'm headed to the FAQ now.

Bill.

if you have any probs with my FAQ just shout

dave dave@pinkzeppelin.com

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back