Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting this error when trying to access system restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

gibsonus

Technical User
Jun 17, 2003
GB
"The procedure entry point Remote Assistance Prepare System Restore could not be located in the dynamic link library WINSTA.dll"

Getting this error when trying to use system restore in xp pro build 2600.

I had another problem and ran a repair for that but this one isn't for fixin'.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

At a guess it might be because you have old restore points floating around from before your repair of XP. Try running Disk Cleanup (Options) to remove all restore points except the most recent. Or try turning System Restore Off and rebooting before turning it back on.

Q302796 - Troubleshooting System Restore in Windows XP

Thanks linney. The error was present before the repair but any other errors were fixed(turned out to be something silly not needing the repair). I'll give your suggestions a go though and let you know.

Thanks

Just remember that running a repair installation of Windows will remove all previous Windows Updates and possibly SP1 too.

I reapplied SP1 and rebooted. Just after the progress bar on the boot, it all restarted(repeatedly). I ran another repair and seem to have gone full circle.

The state your machine is in at the moment it might be time for a reformat and reinstall of XP.

HOW TO: Partition and Format a Hard Disk in Windows XP (Q313348)

Some things you can try (if you want to) before reformating.

Using the XP CD load the Recovery Console and run the Chkdsk program from it. Also have a look at Fixboot and Fixmbr.

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP (Q307654)

You might need a working XP to try these.

How to Use System Files to Create a Boot Disk to Guard Against Being Unable to Start Windows XP (Q314079)

Q305595 - HOW TO: Create a Boot Disk for an NTFS or FAT Partition in Windows XP

Finally, data recovery options if your backup is not too good.

I think you are right. I've just been putting it of. I hate doing it when i've so much to reinstall after windows is reinstalled.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back