Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting that film look

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoing

Technical User
Aug 18, 2001
GB
Well, cinelook is pretty good, but slow and you really have to know your film stocks.

Bigfx's Filmfx is fantastic, but about £400 over my budget (I'm only a home user).

So the question is, do any of you long time video tweakers know how to get a more filmy look to DV video at shareware prices?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Hey there,

I am not sure, that I would call Premiere 4.2/5.1/6 shareware at the best of times.

SnowWolf

Well, I suppose it would be a real stretch of the imagination to call Premiere in any version Shareware...but then I don't remember ever doing so.

The point had more to do with finding the cheapest plugin available to give DV footage a 'filmic' feel.

Now we all know that there are hugely expensive plugins that do the job, so I was just wondering if anyone knew of something cheaper that could give the same effect.

"Filmic," as in an aged film look, with random lines and specks and graininess? Or "Filmic" as in that illustrious smooth motion and "certain quality" that makes the clip undeniably professional?

I'm sure you could find a FX plugin that will do film grain and age. Go to and type in "Film Grain Plugin" and I'm sure you'll get more hits than you know what to do with. : )

As for the illustrious smooth motion... well that simply doesn't exist on a PC screen, because PCs redraw the screen in a progessive scan format, where TV uses interlaced format.

There IS one way to get this super-smooth motion on the PC screen, but it can be tricky. You need a program such as VirtualDub to split the 25 or 29.97fps field/frames into 50 or 59.87fps Frames without affecting the audio. Then the resolution drops by half vertically, and the width needs to be scaled to match, but the frame rate doubles and looks smoother than the bottom of a baby's rear end.

Progressive clips of any kind will not play back on a TV correctly, so once a clip is converted to progressive it is computer-only.

Good luck,
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back