Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

getting switch config via SNMP

Status
Not open for further replies.

selcuks2001

IS-IT--Management
Dec 8, 2001
TR
Hello everybody,
How is it possible to get the configuration file of a switch via SNMP? Or is that possible? We assume that we know the community string and the IP address of the switch.

Regards
b^2-4ac

North323,
Assume that there is a router/switch. And SNMP is enabled on it. My question is if it is possible to get the configuration file from it via SNMP.

Regards
b^2-4ac

Hello vipergg,
I tried to do what is said in the document. But it didn't work. Anybody else can help? Especially somebody who has got some hands on experience on this topic.

Regards
b^2-4ac

M. Knorr's link? Lemon?
Pardon? What?

Regards
b^2-4ac

M. Knorr's link? Lemon?
Pardon? What? "
scroll up, its the second reply in this thread.

Hello everybody,
In the link below (Lemon13's link) I couldn't find any information about how to get the configuration file of a router using SNMP. There is only basic information about SNMP protocol used in Cisco environment.
I don't want to be a pain. But didn't anybody tried this before? I mean getting a router's switch's configuration with using SNMP.

Regards
b^2-4ac

Hello Jsteve,
Thank you for you reply. I felt for the first time that I am too close to the solution with that link. =))
But in the link it doesn't say how to get the configuration with the snmpget command. There is some preconfiguration lines with the command snmpset to get the configuration from a Cisco device.
I typed there also my problem. I am waiting for their reply. I'll share the solution here as soon as I get the response.

Regards
b^2-4ac

This link may point you further in the dirction you are loking for.

One thing I would suggest is to download one of many freeware snmp tools that can pull the config, than sniff the packets to discover the correct MIBs. then try it with the basic snmpget format {snmpget -v 2c -c pass 1.2.3.4 MIB)

here is a free tool I used in the past.

Hello Jsteve,
Thanks for your links which are very helpful.
In your last link there are some MIBs to get the configuration file from a router. In those snmpget commands there are some parameters like: ccmHistoryRunningLastSaved.0, ccmHistoryRunningLastChanged.0, ccmHistoryStartupLastChanged.0 or ccmHistoryEventTable. But when I get the MIB table of my router with following command I cannot see any of these parameters:
SSS#snmpwalk -v 2c -c public 192.168.2.1
Is that the reason that my router doesn't support configuration sending via SNMP?
My router is a Cisco 2621 with IOS c2600-i-mz.123-25.bin on it and with the version 12.3(25)

Regards
b^2-4ac

That is IP BAse code, the most basic you can get. So it may not support it. You can check Cisco Feature Navigator.

/

tim@tim-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get install windows
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package windows...Thank Goodness!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back