Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting started

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrenPower

IS-IT--Management
Nov 1, 2001
GB
I wonder if anyone can give me some advice, previously I was working as a webmaster for Sun Microsystems, and when my contract finished I decided that now would be the best time to realise my goals of becoming a project manager.

I am almost through with a Learning Tree certified Project Management course which I have flown through with (relative :)) flying colours but the lack of experience that I hold is becoming a bit of a stumbling block with regards to employment.

I'm still fairly young (23) and am extremely confident that I will eventually do very well in this business but I need to in some way improve my attarctiveness to employers.

Can anyone suggest ways in which I might do this??

I would not plan on getting a position as a project manager just because you've taken a course and been certified. In order to bet the experience you may want to work in user department assisting a manager type.

If you have project management skills it will become apparent. Most managers do not wait until someone is a project manager to give them projects for which they are responsible.

A good project manager must prove an ability to keep egos in check, allocate tasks across different and often competing departments - and make it feel like it is a team effort. This is far more important than the gant charts and definition in the long run.

So I would look for non-project management positions outside of a technology department. Your technical skills will help you further standout from your peers - in a good way.

I hope this helps. Matthew Moran
The I.T. Career Builder's Toolkit

Well said, Matthew! Quite often there is too much money and other resources at stake to go with someone who has no experience. However, there are lead positions on any project, for example, since you are in IT you should be able to find, lead business analyst, lead architect, lead designer, etc. Many lead positions, especially on bigger projects will require that you begin to use some PM skills. As you do this you will gain practical experience you can use to sell yourself into a PM position. Since you are 23, you have a great opportunity to accumulate the practical experience that will make you successful. Once you are able to get your first PM position, try to make it a smaller project. You may be able to convince a prospective client to let you project manage a project if you have successfully worked with them as an individual contributor on one where you showed them some great PM skills.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back