Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting started with SNMP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

newman515151

Technical User
Jan 20, 2010
HR
Hi everybody!

I'm just getting started with SNMP, so I have a question. I read about the basics, OID, MIB, SNMP messages, agent, manager, but, now I would like to actually implement it and try to use it and I'm stuck.

Can someone point me to a tutorial, or a book or any other reading that could explain to me how to implement SNMP. I have a simple cisco lab network at home and I would like to use SNMP to get some info from the network. Configuring Cisco router for SNMP is not a problem. Next step is. I need a SNMP Manager, right? What to use? Can I send SNMP messages (and receive, of course ) using some network programming, like Python or Java? I'd also like to try to communicate with my DSL modem using SNMP...

Just point me in the right direction, cause I read some basics but how to implement it, or how to start working with SNMP is still a mistery to me... THANK YOU!

hi dear friend,
you can use some API for java programming , like snmp4j , adventnet snmp api,jSNMPEnterprises,... .you can find related tutorial at there sites. Also , you can find some useful javadoc at this sites.

best regards,
avisa

Install Getif a free SNMP tool on windows ... it's quite easy to use and you will probably understand what it's all about
You find it at you can also find many mib files for common devices on that page

Point it to the IP of the device that has SNMP enabled and if required specify the correct community string

G.

Enjoy your star.

/

tim@tim-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get install windows
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package windows...Thank Goodness!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back