Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GETTING STARTED WITH PERL FOR WINDOWS

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcrox

Programmer
Jul 3, 2001
US
I use perl on unix, but have a project to do on windows. I installed active perl, but getting started has been a pain. On unix, I just make the first line #!/usr/bin/perl -w, but with windows...what do i do to get a script started??

Try #!C:\perl\bin\perl. That's where active perl usually installs its executable.
Tracy Dryden
tracy@bydisn.com

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard.

Another option (at least what worked for me) is to make sure the path to Perl.exe was in my system path. In my case, all I had to do there was add "C:\Perl\bin" (or wherever you installed Perl) to the path in the system variables part of the environment variables. Then, just because I'm lazy and don't like typing .pl every time I want to run a script, I changed the pathext system variable to include .pl. The format on those variables is pretty clear as soon as you look at them.

Tom Ragsdale
stingray@acl.lanl.gov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back