Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting Started with Online Courses

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeddy

Programmer
Jul 8, 1999
US
Looking for ideas on motivating people to become involved with online discussions relevant to their online courses. Our system shows that people are going through the web pages of the course, but they aren't posting!

skeddy,<br>
Good question. I am sad that nobody has managed to post a response - maybe there is some irony in there somewhere.<br>
<br>
We write and adapt software packages for DBAs to implement in their part of the company. Training courses are provided, but the only feedback we ever seem to get is if there is a helpdesk call.<br>
<br>
I am considering ways of 'certifying' my delegates, maybe participating in discussions could be part of the requirements..? not sure how to make that work yet. Could be a bit tricky ordering people to participate.<br>
<br>
What are your courses about?<br>
<br>
It could be that the type of people who want to do distance learning courses are less likely to participate in group discussions.<br>
<br>
or is it that your courses are so good that they can't think of any questions?<br>
<br>

Our courses are staff develoment courses for NYS teachers designed to help them with preparing students to meet the new NYS testing and standards requirements. &lt;p&gt;I'm kind of wondering if perhaps the activity itself is not lending itself to discussion or postings (not that it so good, but aren't there different kinds of activities that are more "discuss-able" than others?). For example, we ask them what their beliefs are about the standards or another example is where we direct them to a resource site of educational articles and ask them to post the URL of interesting articles. It seems in this activity two or three posted the same article and no one is posting anymore. It's hard to believe there was only one article there.&lt;p&gt;We just recently hired someone to facilitate the online courses. Of course this person will be going through a learning curve herself just to get used to online coursework let alone facilitating it!

I look forward to hearing about your new facilitator's experiences. Please encourage her to post some info when you have some success.<br>
<br>
Personally, I am trying to get involved with this tek-tips thing to see how an online community can evolve. There must be a critical mass that combines the number of people belonging to a forum, how much a subject lends itself to discussion, with a few experienced members and a number of beginners. These variables are probably dependent on each other.<br>
<br>
Maybe you can increase participation by structuring courses to encourage frequent visits.. i.e. short modules, news updates, etc.<br>
<br>
Jez.

You may be interested in an online course offered by Ziff-Davis at zdu.com called Building Online Communities. I took it a couple of months ago and may take it again now that we've been trying to build for a little while.<br>
<br>
One feature I know I really like about this Tek-Tip is that you can request an e-mail from the system when someone posts a reply to the topic. It works real well for when there haven't been alot of postings at all. (Like this topic which started Jul 8 and I forgot about it! hee-hee but was reminded by the e-mail) That feature of the technology alone is a community builder!

skeddy,<br>
Thanks for the tip on Ziff-Davis. I checked out the course and it was really interesting - both the course, and the way that the site worked. I would love to be able to set up a similar site for my own company, although there is a benefit to training people face-to-face for some things, and the ZDU course stresses the costs.<br>
<br>
At the same time I have been reading 'Release 2.1' by Esther Dyson. She is v. interested in online communities as well.<br>
<br>
The key seems to be in getting the delegates to be part of creating the course. The online discussions are the major part of the ZDU class. The information bit is solved by buying the book (obviously as a publisher that is their aim!), but the discussion is about understanding.<br>
<br>
Jez.<br>
<br>
p.s. I have included e-mail notification as a requirement for my new system.

From a student point of view in utilizing Online Courses, one problem that needs to be addressed is, the fear that people have of not wanting to embarrass themselves.&nbsp;&nbsp;Not looking like a fool, or stupid is a very important aspect that students or employees face when they post a message.&nbsp;&nbsp;It is not much different than posting here, except that someone is judging you based on what you post.&nbsp;&nbsp;Very intimidating.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;. . . just a thought.

You hit the nail on the head with that!!! And imagine you are a teacher taking the course! Yes, that is a very large fear. I think even more than their fear of the technology. <br><br>Two months ago we piloted sending participants through with a designated facilitator. There was a marked improvement in quantities of postings; however, all preliminary contact with participants was just electronic (e-mail) and there were quite a few people that we never heard from (online) again. So - -&nbsp;&nbsp;with this 2 month session, we added an initial face-to-face meeting. Not every participant attended the face-to-face so it will be interesting to watch if the non-attendees ever make it to be online. <br><br>However, in the online world this is very unusual. So we are still puzzling this out.

In my online courses we develop a code of conduct for our discussion groups before we begin the process - as a team we decide how we want to be treated and that this is a learning environment - with people with varying backgrounds - and it is the team's duty to have mutual understanding for team success. It is a very effective process - part of the student evaluation is decided based on participation in this process. Posting can be embarrassing but not when everyone has a win win attitude.

If you would like more info on how to build a code of conduct (which can be used in any business or personal environment that includes 2 or more people) please let me know and I will post it.

Re community building - a good resource is

Amy Jo Kim - Community Building on the Web - Peachpit Press
c 2000. [sig][/sig]

RugbyProp, I would like to see that information. We experience some similar issues with our online students, most of whom are young learners (18-24). They may be computer savy, but they have yet to learn good interpersonal communication skills. This may be another way to introduce them to the &quot;right&quot; way to behave in a virtual classroom.

We use our discussion forums primarily for posting questions about the content, but still, it would be great to look at what someone else is doing to encourage another form of virtual communication. [sig]<p> Robert<br><a href=mailto:rstumbur@nait.ab.ca>rstumbur@nait.ab.ca</a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

This is a very interesting discussion, particularly the point made about people, teachers in particular, not wanting to feel &quot;foolish.&quot;

I think lots of people feel insecure about writing what they think, unless they're forced to do so on an essay exam.

I wonder, too, if students of all ages, are concerned about privacy. For example, are they thinking: &quot;If I post an opinion that is counter to the &quot;status quo&quot; of my class, my school, my political party, (gasp) my parents, who else will be able to read it? Can people find out what I say in this discussion group and then use the information against me?&quot;

It's a sad state of affairs, but I think most people are afraid to express themselves these days; whether they have a question or an opinion. Have you noticed how hardly anyone uses bumper stickers anymore? Have you noticed how, in a classroom, students often seem reluctant to ask the first question?

Someone posted something about the &quot;right&quot; way to express oneself in a discussion group. I think there is no right way, per se. I think you just ask people not to swear or sneer, not to use capital letters which implies shouting, and to have respect for one another. You know, the Golden Rule, it works on the street, why not on line?

I've always found that I am very quick to post to a community whenever someone has expressed an opinion strongly counter to my own. Then, I like to add my own opinion.

One of the most lively discussions I participated in was one which was polling for opinions about Pepsi and Coca-Cola tv commercials. Asking a fairly innocuous question about something that almost everyone is familiar with, might be a good way to encourage online discussion. That is, start with something fun and small, get to know one another, then go on to the &quot;larger&quot; questions of coursework.

Just thinking out loud.

[sig][/sig]

Writeup and Robert
I have sent Robert the information on the code of conduct. Online communities must develop a code of conduct for how individuals repsond to one another - to develop a winwin philosophy. This essential to the sharing of knowledge. [sig][/sig]

RugbyProp-
I also would be interested in the information on code of conduct. You've certainly peaked my interest on 2 levels - how to develop a win-win philosophy and would this code of conduct be necessary in online learning for all types of students or would it work best for just particular students in particular communities. Do you need to build that philosophy in all cases - what if the online course is composed of independent learners rather than team learners? Must everyone agree to the code - what if someone doesn't agree - do the other participants allow them to continue in the course?
Shirley
skeddy66@aol.com

[sig][/sig]

Writeup
You say &quot;I wonder, too, if students of all ages, are concerned about privacy.&quot; - In our online courses this is a real big issue! Our participants are teachers in school districts where the district is paying for their course. It is a very fine balance between building both accountability (district wants to know the teacher participates) and privacy for the participant into a system. We often receive calls from a district wanting to know if a participant has completed the course.

The way we currently deal with accountability is that we leave it up to the district. We tell the district of the concrete products of taking the courses - such as lesson plans developed or the creation of a participant's Professional Development Plan and that they can ask the participant for as an indication of course completion.

Now - here's another take on the whole course-taking psychology - We have had participants in a panic because the graphic of a certificate of completion (which is at the end of every course with their name included) doesn't print out!! Look at how tied in some people are about receiving a certificate, a degree or some type of &quot;paper&quot; that shows we learned something! Is that the system or is that our personal needs? [sig][/sig]

Skeddy
I have sent along the code document - the code can be used in any environment (online and off) where you have two way communication by two or more individuals. Where discussions or brainstorming is the main focus. All members need to agree to the code - it must be negotiated and accepted by all individuals in the group. It is best to build in some type of reward/punishment structure - In my experience in group activities - group members rate each others participation and adherence to the code - the instructor uses this information to assign class participation marks.

As well, Research has shown the developing a code of conduct is essential to the efficiency and effectiveness of high performance work teams. [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back