Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting started with JSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Could anyone tell me exactly what you need to start doing JSP? I'm thinking of using it for a college project with MySQL.

What exactly is Tomcat? Do you need Apache as well?

Would it be possible to install everything on my Win98 computer at home, or would I have to use the server at college?

Many thanks for any thoughts!

hi

here is what you'll need:
1)JDK1.3 (for java develop)
2)tomcat 3.2 or higher (tomcat is the web server on wich ur jsp application will run - and you can use it on ur pc and no apache required).
3)for working with mysql you'll need the vendors driver to work with java

now you are ready to go!
you should be aware that the process of configuring all of the tools could be very painfull, so read carfully the manuals of the tools u r using especially the tomcat's manual and readme files.

my suggestion that you'll work with jbuilder6 enterprise edition which has tomcat and db inside and will configure everything for you, jbuilder6 is very easy to develop web apps with. the jb6ee is very expansive tool but if you are planning to develop in java its very helpfull.

good luck!
raikyng.

Thanks v much!

Just one more thing - if I wanted to transfer the finished product to an ISP (I'm thinking of making a web-shop for a small business), what questions would I need to ask the ISP?

Would you expect the necessary stuff to be installed on the ISP already, or would they let me install MySQL and whatever else I need? Is it likely to be a nightmare to set up?

what do you mean by ISP?
is it to your web host?

A commercial Internet Service Provider - by that I meant a web host (maybe I used the wrong word).

Read web host for ISP - same questions apply.

Thanks

hi!

you should ask your web host if he is able to host jsp on his server.

goodluck!

alon.

Hi MadHatts,

Well, it depends what type of application you're creating. If you're going to need to set up a database, then you'll have to ensure that they can support the database on their server(s).

But so long as the ISP can support JSPs (i.e. they have Tomcat or an equivalent server/extension that can compile JSPs), you should be golden.

Good luck,
Adam Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back