Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting started with Aloha as a complete beginner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kriswood

Programmer
May 15, 2009
US
Hi everyone,
While I may have over a decade of programming and general IT experience I must admit defeat on this one...

Yesterday I was asked by a restaurant to repair all their computers which was going fine until I got to Aloha QS 5.0. The computer it had been running on had a hard disk failure and the original installation from several years ago was lost. The machine they asked me to install it on is a win2k3 fileserver, and is also their active directory server etc etc.

Their goal is to connect to the POS application from a terminal at the front counter register, served up from aloha itself or through VNC from the 2k3 fileserver.

I had never seen or heard of Aloha before yesterday...

Unable to locate documentation I ran the auto install for AlohaQS 5.0 and all seemed to go well until I tried running the program after reboot, getting the error "Security key not found." After some discussion with the client they were able to locate their hardware key (a "hasp" is it?) which we connected to the fileserver's LPT1, and the TM-T88II thermal printer is connected to the back end of the key. The printer works fine and can print from any application.

After all this I found the install guide but when I try to re-run setup it says there are no products that can be updated from this CD. I cannot find an uinstall anywhere. Their support contract has long since expired and I'd like to resolve the issue with as little cost to them as possible.

Any suggestions?

The "hasp key" needs security codes to allow aloha to run. there is no way to bypass. you would have to get the security key codes from their original dealer. The old data may still be on the terminals. Look on the hard drive of the terminals and see if their is an ALOHA directory. If so just copy that directory in place of the new one you just installed.

If the old data is available, the key codes are in the aloha\data\aloha.ini open this file in notepad and search for sec1= there will be 6 codes listed together.

Thanks for the reply! We already got the six security keys from the original dealer and I've already entered them during install. I've double checked the aloha.ini to ensure all of them are correct. What else could cause this?

If you need to re-install Aloha browse to the CD and run advanced.exe program.

The files don't need to be uninstalled but un-registered. The unregister_iber and register_iber bat files are installed on the local drive. To unregister run the unregister_iber*.bat <press any key> after running file then run the register_iber bat files.

Check your services and check that ctrlsvr.exe is started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back