Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting Started - Programming M8x24 with StarTalk Flash 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

New2Norstar

Technical User
Jul 23, 2003
US
I am an IT-techie that has inherited phone systems (I'm sure like many others of you have)... I will be installing an older Norstar M8x24 for a small branch office. I have the "Modular DR5 Installer Guide", but would be interested in anyone's more generalized description of how to configure the system from scratch. In general terms/major step-by-step terms, such as
1. Define incoming CO lines using CONFIG, TRK/LINE DATA menu
2. Define stations by using CONFIG...
5. Configure KSU to use StarTalk by using CONFIG...
8. Record AA message by using handset feature 999...

Any direction would help, whether brief/detailed/whatever your willing to give... I have a manual, but the terms/language is not always familiar.

Assume:
*Norstar M8x24 KSU w/DR5 (currently no expansion modules)
*25-pair from KSU to External lines punched down on 66 block with 3 CO lines coming into ports 201,202,203.
*25-pair from KSU to Internal stations punched down on 24-port patch panel (ports 101-124)
*StarTalk Flash 2 (v1.0) installed connected to internal ports 124 & 123
*Telco has 3 external lines to rollover in order 201,202,203.
*Both KSU & StarTalk have existing programming that has not been erased, but is not appropriate for this install.
*Do NOT have FastRAD device or Norstar Manager software.
*Meridian/Norstar handsets patched into station ports 101-105.

Needed configuration:
A small office of 5 people. All phone incoming phone calls to be answered by an Auto-Attendant with a message like "Thank you for calling...Press 1 for Bob, Press 2 for Tom,...Press 5 for Nancy, Otherwise leave a message in our general voicemailbox." When the caller presses 1, it rings Bob's handset. If Bob does not answer or is on another line, it goes to Bob's voicemail box.
When an internal user picks up a handset, an outside line is automatically selected out of a pool of outside lines (203,202,201).
Internal Intercom calls can be placed by pressing an intercom button and dialing a 3-digit extension. Use 3-digit extensions instead of default 2-digit extensions.

Thanks in advance.
Bryan

Just to get you started, just after powering up the unit, do a STARTUP on it. I recommend selecting the SQUARE template for a small office. That will automatically assign the first 2 lines to all sets. It will be easy to add more lines to the sets, or remove what you don't want.
Importent to change the lines to TONE. Default is pulse after STARTUP.
You didn't mention which set model you will be using, but you will be able to use the set copy on the items that will be the same from set to set. Assign the lines to the pool, and give the sets access to the pool.
Quite a few little details to adjust. I would also get the phones all working the way you want BEFORE adding the voice-mail. Will be easy to make minor adjustments for v-mail later.

MarvO said it

couple of other tips...
Ensure the flash is compatable with the 8X24 software (sp:30MUL07 minimum 8X24 software)
connect the flash station port to the main cabnet (port 101-124)
use proper rj 11 telephone jacks and mod cords to connect the flash to station ports. Any shortcuts could lead to bigger headaches down the road.

New2Norstar,
How's it going with your phone system? I'm now in a very simliar situation, but with no installation manuals... The equipment was purchased from eBay. I have the System Coordinator Guide only and have found wiring diagrams on the web. Do you have any tips on the installation? Email any specific install pages?

Thanks for any help!!!

Jeff Clark
jeffc@investigo.net

You can find the installer docs at:

also the wiring pinouts are at faq799-1780

Rule of thumb on wallspace with norstar is you will probably need one square foot of wallspace for every two ports on the system ie: CICS (8X16) 24 Square Ft (4ft X 3ft) MINIMUM

JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back