Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting SQLCONNECT to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jortego

Programmer
Oct 14, 2002
US
I am new to FoxPro and still trying to some of the basics.

I am trying to connect to a FoxPro table from within a FoxPro application (VFP 6). I am doing this so that I can use the SQLEXEC() function to execute an SQL String that was built with a bunch of Logic statements.

STORE SQLCONNECT('db_data') TO gnConnHandle
SQLEXEC(gnConnHandle, str_sql, 'MyCursor')
SQLDISCONNECT(gnConnHandle)

//db_data is my generic text FoxPro database.
//str_sql is my Characeter String Variable with my SQL statement.

This worked once perfectly. However, when I re-opened the form that was giving this command, I would get an error stating "Connection handle is invalid". I modified the SQLCONNECT statement to have the full path for the connection including the .dbc at the end. This worked well until I closed and re-opened the form. Then I got the same error as above.

Any Ideas as to why this I am getting this result?

Try giving the login and password along with the DSN name
STORE SQLCONNECT('db_data', 'sa', "") TO gnConnHandle

Satyen

I made the change and got the same result. It worked at first. What I did figure out is that the code will keep working until I make any modification to the procedure that I am calling. The above suggestion was working just fine until I added a comment line. I deleted the line, but the code would no longer work. I even tried rewriting the code to the earlier version but I continued to get the Connection Handle error.

So, I am still in the same position.

If I put an SQL statement like "SELECT * From...etc." in it works fine. I am only connecting to Foxpro tables within the same application.

Sorry, I was off on a vacation so I could not get back to you in time. Can you post the SQL statement that you are trying.

Satyen

*Program: ctConnect
*Returns: Int ConnHandle
*Parameters tcServerName
public gcWinDir,gcSysDir
Local lnConnHandle

= SQLSetProp(0, "displogin", 3)
lcDSNLess=[DRIVER={SQL SERVER};SERVER=]+ALLTRIM(tcServerName)+[;UID=ctore;pwd=passwordhere;Network=DBMSSOCN;database=CTORE;]

lnConnHandle=SQLSTRINGCONNECT(lcDSNless)

if lnConnHandle < 0
=SQLERROR()
else
= SQLSETPROP(gnConnHandle, 'BatchMode', .T.)
endif
return lnConnHandle

endif
= SQLSETPROP(gnConnHandle, 'BatchMode', .T.)

Hey jortego. Try this.

SQLCONNECT() is expecting a ODBC DSN as its parameter, not a file name.

1. Create a ODBC DSN (Control Panel - Data Sources) pointing to your &quot;db_data&quot; database

2. Supply that DSN name to the SQLCONNECT(&quot;dsn_name&quot;) command.
So instead of &quot;STORE SQLCONNECT('db_data') TO gnConnHandle&quot;

type &quot;STORE SQLCONNECT(&quot;dsn_name&quot;) TO gnConnHandle&quot;

That should solve your problem.

Here are several replies to different postings on my question:

satyenshanker

Here is the code:

*This code is executed when a Button is pressed on the form.

do Populate_Speci_find_list with Type_ID_Var, Pat_ID_Var

THISFORM.Freez_Location_Grid.recordsource = ''
THISFORM.Freez_Location_Grid.recordsource = &quot;MyCursor&quot;

- - - - - - - - -
*This is the procedure that it is executing found in a .prg file under the same project. The tables referenced in my str_sql variable are located in the db_data database. If I put the SQL statement in the code without the SQLEXEC() command, it works fine. But I intend to embend some more complex logic into this code and I need it to be an appendable string variable.

PROCEDURE Populate_Speci_find_list

PARAMETERS Type_ID_Var, Pat_ID_Var

LOCAL str_sql
LOCAL cWhere_str

str_sql = &quot;SELECT * FROM speci_data!lab_frz&quot; ;+
&quot;RIGHT OUTER JOIN speci_data!lb_inv_stg &quot; +;
&quot;LEFT OUTER JOIN speci_data!lab_speci &quot; +;
&quot;ON Lab_speci.oid = Lb_inv_stg.speci_oid &quot; +;
&quot;ON Lab_frz.oid = Lb_inv_stg.frz_oid &quot; +;
&quot;WHERE Lab_speci.pt_oid = Pat_ID_Var &quot; +;
&quot;AND Lab_speci.speci_id = Type_ID_Var &quot; +;
&quot;ORDER BY Lab_speci.oid &quot;

STORE SQLCONNECT('db_data') TO nConnHandle
= SQLEXEC(nConnHandle, str_sql, 'MyCursor')
= SQLDISCONNECT(nConnHandle)

- - - - -
KirkKelly

My connection handle is comming back as a -1. With an Error number of 3. According to help, the error is &quot;Character. The text of the OLE error message.&quot; I am not sure what that means.

- - - - -
daleoclarke

I tried the solution of making a DSN through the connection designer as well as just through the ODBC DSN. The connection designer tells me that the connection is made, but when I run the code, I get the &quot;Invalid Handler&quot; error. I tried removing the .dbc file from my project (.pjx file). That yeilded the same results. I am convinced that I am missing some small setting, command or syntax, but I have no idea what that could be.

...or is it possible that my previous attempts have corrupted the .dbc file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back