Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting routers configs with SNMP

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobW333

MIS
Jul 17, 2003
GB
We have a "managed" network, to which we have read access.

We are having problems with the supplier making changes to the router configs and then saying that they had not changed anything.

What I would like to do is set up a scheduled task to get our routers configs automaticaly every day, possibly using snmp, and storing them to hard disk just incase!

Question, has anyone out there done this or what are the snmp commands to do this, or even where can I find the info?

BTW we run NT on our PC's

Thanks in advance

Here is how I do this:

This is a unix script called "wr". When I want to download a single router config, I enter "wr routername"

#!/bin/sh
#
#
for router in $1
do
outfile="/opt/cisco/routers/$router"
TFTPDIR="/opt/cisco/routers"
TFTPHOST="10.xx.xx.10"
writeNet=".1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.1.55.$TFTPHOST"
SNMP_wr="rw string"
$OV_BIN/snmpset -v 1 -c $SNMP_wr $router $writeNet octetstring $outfile
done

If I want to do all of my routers, I have a file called "wr-all" that has a reference to a file called "routers-all" instead of the $1 variable.

thanks for this, unfortunately our network is all NT/Win 2000 so Unix scripts will not work.

Is there anything comparable for DOS / Windows environment?

Bob

Hi,

I know that Solarwinds Engineers Edition has software that will allow you to download the configurations of all cisco equipment from a nice GUI, however it only works if you have a read/write community name.

I don't know of anything that will allow you to do it if you have read only access.

Sorry,

Keiron.

If you just have read access to the router then this is probably imposible to do. You must have RW access to the router to do any configuration to the router. If you had that you could do a 'write network' command and save the configuration to a tftp server of somekind

Rob Friedman
Aurum Technology

Actually, I use Solarwinds and it works very well for me. Never had a problem with the program at all. Granted, you need to have RW access to use it. I mainly use it for the GUI for bandwidth monitoring. This program would be the best solution for you. Just get them to give you RW access.

Here is the link for Solarwinds.

Chris

Thanks all for the pointers.

I've just downloaded the demo version of Solarwinds (ouch 80m) and it does the business.

Now the only thing I need help with is how to persuade the boss to spend money.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back