Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting Round Catalog Inner Joins 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 17, 2003
GB
I want to bring back in a report all of the people in my organisation who have had absence and the total days absence they have had - this I can do.

I also want to bring back everyone in my organisation and their hours of work - this I can do.

The problem I have is that I want these 2 bits of information in the same report - this I can't do. The reason why I can't do this is because as soon as I include anything concerning absence in a report I can only get those employees who have had absence. Is there any way I can get round this inner join issue in the report. I know how to do it in Business Objects by using synchronised reports, but I am new to Cognos Impromptu and don't have a clue how to achieve what I want in Cognos. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Just to confirm -- Hours worked are held in one table, days of absence are held in a second table, and employee info is held in a third table, which the catalog has inner-joined to the first two tables?

John

Do the report on hours worked as the main query and do the absences as a sub-report. Link the two on employee ID.

Dave Griffin

The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
"Magic with Data"
[pc2]
Want good answers? Read FAQ401-2487 first!

I can't do it as a sub report because if I link on Employee ID I only get those employees who have absence. I want to be able to show those employees who haven't got absence and those who haven't got absence in the same report.

I think the person information is on 1 table which is outer joined to the absence table. However as soon as I put a condition to bring back absences in a period, I only get those people who have absence. Everybody in the organisation has hours so that report brings back everybody. What I want to ultimately achieve is a percentage absence rate i.e. (hours lost to absence) / (hours available to work).

Thanks

DoubleStew,

I don't think this is the case. I have several reports where the sub-report does not having associated data, and the main query still comes back fine even if there is no data in the sub-report.

Dave Griffin

"Magic with Data"
[pc2]

OK .... was doing the join the wrong way round .. d'oh. I've now got 1 long list which has everybody and their contractual hours and another which just has those people who have sickness. But I still have a problem. I've got the main query which has contractual hours in it and the sub query which has hours lost to sickness on it. How can I create a calculation where I can divide total hours lost to sickness by total contractual hours? There doesn't seem to be anywhere where I can see both of these data items together to get them into a calculation.

Doublestew,

You should be able to create the calculation in the sub-report. It can access the results of the main query, but not the other way around.

Regards,

Dave Griffin

"Magic with Data"
[pc2]

Excellent. I love it when the solution is an easy answer, you just feel a bit of a donkey for not knowing it. Thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back