Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting rid of VFP screen in and EXE

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilfranz

Technical User
Oct 4, 2003
US
Hello friends,

I am trying to get a one-form EXE file to appear properly on the desktop, without showing the VFP window. This is apparently a common problem, because there are multo-multo questions about it on the forum. I have spent about two hours checking many of them them out, without getting anywhere -- and my eyes are glazed over and my head is swimming with the multiple variations and properties that seem to be involved. And still I have a form that either A) appears in the VFP window, or B) blips off immediately after starting.

I have tried lebenty-leben variable combinations of ShowWindow, WindowType, AlwaysOnTop, SCREEN=OFF (in config file), WindowState, WindowType, etc, etc -- and still no dice. (Trying them all works out to 6+5+4+3+2+1 combinations. So -- says I -- time to ask the gurus.)

I want the Form (an EXE to be started from the desktop) to appear on the desktop with no sign of VFP or white screen appearing.

How does one do this?

TIA

SCREEN=OFF in your config.fpw
Make your form a Top Level form
Compile and run

...that's all there is to it.

boyd.gif

Hi Wilfranz,

Create a file main.prg and make it main by right clicking it. Code for main.prg
Code:
DO FORM myForm
READ EVENTS
In the Destroy event of myForm put CLEAR EVENTS.
Make, as Craig wrote, myForm ShowWindow = 2 (As Top Level) and use SCREEN=OFF in the config.fpw in the apps startup directory.

Regards,

Mike

Many thanks, guys.

Your suggestions were what I needed. With them, I'm up and running.

Bill

Maybe this can help too:

thread184-719621

"How to make a 'Hello world' program, no VPF screen and close it on X"

Kruno Malovic

wilfranz,

Have the VFP screen appear is not necessarily a problem. It's really a design issue. Launch Word and close all open documents. Launch Excel and close all open spreadsheets. Hey! That looks kinda like the VFP screen! It's all in how the app is designed.

Craig Berntson
MCSD, Visual FoxPro MVP, Author, CrysDev: A Developer's Guide to Integrating Crystal Reports"

To add to what's already said, also take a look at the DESKTOP property of the form and it's meaning...

Bye, Olaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back