Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting Rid of All Old Files and Starting Fresh

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnSaunders

Technical User
Jun 10, 2002
US
I have a dedicated server running Red Hat 7.2. It came with Apache 1.3.20 and I upgraded to 1.3.24 and had some problems with Webmin not picking up the new version of Apache. I uninstalled Webmin and recompiled Apache and Webmin and I can't get the Apache Server to start in Webmin.

Can somebody tell me what I need to do to start fresh? I'd like to remove all the files from Apache and Webmin so all the old stuff is gone. What do I need to get rid of so all the Apache files are gone that were installed when Red Hat was set up?

I'd like to compile PHP 4.2.1 and MySQL on my server as well. What steps do I need to follow in order to do this?

Best Regards,

John Saunders

How did you install the original Apache? Was it by rpm? If so, uninstall the apache rpms and compile the newer version from source.

For PHP and MySQL, you need to install MySQL first.

MySQL installs without too much problem. It doesn't take much in the way of compilation tweaking to make it work. It's always worked for me by following the instructions in INSTALL.

PHP is a little tricker. You'll have to read the INSTALL file, but also the PHP online documentation. You'll want to decide what parts of PHP you will activate and issue the appropriate directives to the configure script. Look at the PHP families of functions. In the intro to each family, it will tell you what you prerequisites and configuration directives you need to compile in those functions. Perfection in engineering does not happen when there is nothing more to add. Rather it happens when there is nothing more to take away.

Hey thanks Dude, I was looking for a good Web Admin client This Webmin looks like a good one :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back