Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting ready for CCNA exam 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

moh

MIS
Jan 26, 2000
US
Is anybody could give me an advice, how should I prepare myself for the CCNA test, perhaps somebody's experiences or routins. Thank's a lot.

I read Cisco Press CCNA book, CCNA book by Todd Lammle, another CCNA book by Osbourne Press and EXAMCRAM CCNA. Lastly I used Beachfront Quizzer software. I got an 822 the first time I took the test.

I would have to agree with Franco1. I used that same books but only I also got the CCNA multimedia kit from Baddog computers and also used the Beachfront quizzer also. I passed first time out with an 860.

The best advise I can give you is to actually work on the physical router as much as possible.<br><br>I used a site to study&nbsp;&nbsp;<A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> test was pretty hard, most confusing part and what I scored lowest on was the OSI model because of the overlapping.&nbsp;&nbsp;Overall I passed with an 897.&nbsp;&nbsp;If you have any questions about the test email me at <A HREF="mailto:jcusick@visto.com">jcusick@visto.com</A>.<br><br>Tests that I used to study were <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> luck<br><br>JC

The route I have taken is to take the NEW ICND course . This replaces the old ICRC.<br>I also have many of the books mention in the other reply's . The one I find most helpful<br>is the CCNA Exam Certification Guide by Wendell Odem CCIE . This covers the&nbsp;&nbsp;60 objectives&nbsp;&nbsp;that are on the exam . As the books stats, The CCNA Exam is a test to prove your Mastery of the BASIC interworking Concepts ....&nbsp;&nbsp;Good Luck<br>

I am taking a CCNA class & we use the Lammle book.&nbsp;&nbsp;I am using the mcseguide.com site to study.&nbsp;&nbsp;Has anyone used this before?&nbsp;&nbsp;If so how helpful?&nbsp;&nbsp;<A HREF="mailto:svenbailey@netzero.net">svenbailey@netzero.net</A>.

I agree with everyone about the hands on training!! I used Todd Lammle/Sybex book for the reading ((Great reference)) I also used boson practice exams, transcender and had a friend email me 5 questions a day.

Good Luck ~

Let me add something here. We just hired a CCNA ( over my objections) to help me.

The guy does have a CCNA but is/was clueless about hooking up cabling, the differences between a static T and a frame circuit and so on. While I *could* train him in time and I think he would make a decent router guy, he was hired to &quot;hit the ground running&quot; due partly because the CCNA cert. WHat I have is a &quot;paper&quot; CCNA and most of if it is due to self taught training and a lack of hands on work/training.

The point is that he is short critical skills from both the technical side due to lack of skills exchange that you find in a class or group and a lack of hands on skills, again from being self taught and not having the budget to buy a couple of routers or use a lab like mentor or others.

Passing the CCNA means you will take on certain responsiblities and you will be held accountable for knowing certain skills. If you do not have the skills, retribution will harsh and swift in todays corporate world. I see a good many folks on these boards wanting to pass their CCNA by picking up a book and spitting back up a few answers out of the book. That may get you the cert, but it's most certainly going to haunt you in your career unless you put in the extra effort required.

::eek:ff soap box::

Mike S
&quot;Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock&quot; Wynn Catlin

Mike, you have a very good point there. We have several techs who have there CCNA's and they are clueless in the real world enviroment. Hands on , on the job training, and knowledge of telco operations such as frame relay, isdn ect I beleive will make you a true Cisco CCNA. The post I made earlier this week ( ccna study material )is a good reference however we all should know this like the back of our hands. these are only my thought and I hope I do not offend anyone !!!! Jeter@LasVegas.com The best answer I could ever give is the one to maintain my Sanity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back