Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting out of a workgroup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EM64T

IS-IT--Management
Jan 20, 2003
US
I have a machine that is set up to connect to my WinNT domain, however it won't see any of the network. I noticed that there is a workgroup in there, so I tried to remove it but Windows 98 won't let me :). Is there any way to go in and remove the workgroup...or do I set it to a default workgroup? Thanks!

Question's a bit confused.
'I noticed that there is a workgroup in there' - do you mean in network neighborhood? If so, that will have been created because at least one machine on your network is (or was - 'dead' workgroups persist for a while after all members gone) set up to belong to a workgroup pf that name. So to remove it, all machines must NOT belong to it (but it being there or not should be immaterial to you seeing the network via the domain).

BUT is that the problem - 'connect to my WinNT domain, however it won't see any of the network'. Or is this the problem? (though if you can see a workgroup - can see some of network!).

So, can you explain what your problem is and what you are trying to achieve please.

You will have to set a workgroup regardless if it's a default workgroup (WORKGROUP) or a specified one. If you are having problems seeing other computers on the network with 'NETWORK NEIGHBORHOOD", try making the workgroup name as the same as your other computers' workgroup name on the network. If I am not mistaken, you can also set your workgroup name the same as your NT domain.

Hi-

wolluf is right on the money. Do you mean that you see a workgroup other than the workgroup/domain that your 98 box and NT machine belong to? Or do you mean that the 98 box is configured as a workgroup member and can't see the domain?

Chris

I've just by coincidence I've just learn about Workgroups today.

I joined another workgroup to run someones database and then couldn't run mine.

I've since found out there is a default system.mdw in the Windows System folder that mine was using by default. Rejoining this using the Admin Tool has resolved the problem.

Leon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back