Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting MSI files for AD Deployment

Status
Not open for further replies.

jc999

Technical User
Oct 20, 2003
GB
I need to deploy a number of things to the PCs on our network, notably at the moment IE6 and DirectX 9. I was hoping to use AD's software deployment to do this. Do I have to create the MSI files for these applications myself?

Can I not just get an MSI file from somewhere? I have tried to deploy a few things but making the MSI's seems a bit tricky. Someone mentioned that I can get them direct from microsoft, but am not having much luck. Obviously I wont bother trying to get them if they don't exist.

Anybody else get MSI files for things like directx and that from anywhere?

Hi jc999,

Welcome to a new form of headaches. MSI building and deploying is so much fun. =)

Ill just write a quick note then give you a link or two that has helped me on this journey.

First, Many softwares are already packaged in an MSI and may only need a MST (transform file, that dictates install behavior). Others have to be packaged into MSI files.

Here are the links that got me started. You should find them extremely informational.

This is a free MSI creator built by On-Demand for Microsoft.

This place is great. Get instructions and information from other people about packages and how they built and distributed.

Good Luck on the quest.

ps. Some packages are a pain in the .. like Adobe Acrobat.

Hi Redtech,

Thanks for the links. I've just begun to realise that it is not as straightforward as I thought it would/should be. At least I know what I aiming for now. Quite a few ways to deploy directx by the looks of it - all of them look like fun :-(

Thx for replying

Here is how I would do it as of today (this procedure is for v8.1 but it should be the same for 9.0:

The downloaded installer is named DX81NTeng.exe. Run DX81NTeng.exe /c /t:path to extract the tree to path.

The command to install under silent mode us: dxsetup.exe /silent /install

You can make an MSI with a wrapper like WWIW that launches that command and then add the MSI into the GPO's.

There is a drawback to this method... the MSI will launch the external command and continue, since for the MSI, the command is completed. The installation will continue in the background and may cause problems if you have more than one installation lined up in the GPO's.

Something I've been wanting to try, but is still a theory, is launching a batch file with the wait command:

START /wait /b directx.bat

and in the batch file, have the command:

dxsetup /silent /install

or even, try it directly in the MSI:

"START /wait /b DXSETUP.EXE /silent /install"

the location of the /wait and /b ARE VERY important. They cannot be at the END of the command or they are ignored.

Hope this helps.. and I should be trying my theoretical command in a few days.

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

Hi ReddLefty

When you use the msi as a wrapper you tell the custom action to wait for the exit code from the .exe.
I believe its asynchroneous execution or something. Im not at my reg machine so I cant look it up.
Also in the wrapper use the NOT INSTALLED property around the if-end if.

Hi Reddlefty,

Thanks for the info. Just wondering - what is WWIW?

Had a look at WinINSTALL LE to try and create the MSI file. Is it always necessary to run a 'discover' on a clean machine to create the MSI file??

Think I'm getting there, but any answers would be much appreciated.

Typical ! just found WWIW on appdeploy - will have a look.

Actually, I misplaced the letters.. it's WIWW.. hehe.

And yes, use a clean machine. The procedure I use it two computers. Both installed with SP4. I also have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed but that's for compatibility reasons for certain softwares, cause they won't install without it. I then ghost those machines (I do not add them to the domain). Make it as bare as possible... I remove the I386 folder and stuff (if you have it in your local drive). I then discover, install, discover again and then I test it on the 2nd machine.

If you edit the MSI with WinInstallLE 2003, I don't let the software upgrade the package number (in the options of the General section in your MSI when you select it). I noticed that when I changed things in the MSI, the package code is changed (cause it's the default setting) and it would then screw up the installation afterwards, even if it worked on the test machine once, it would stop working thereafter.

The wrapper is good for when you hit softwares that just don't work with the Discover, but have silent installs you can program directly. I did this for Adobe Acrobat Standard v5.0. The wrapper launches the EXE setup file with a command line and it installs in the background. Once again, the issue I was getting is that the wrapper would end right away, which could cause some issues if you lined up serveral installations in the GPO's. I've not seen the option that MMV is talking about, but I will look into it nonetheless.

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back