Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting MS-DOS Prompt Box at Start of Windows 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMOORE

Technical User
May 24, 2000
US
I am running Windows 98 on my computer. When I attempt to start Windows, I end up with the MS-DOS Prompt Box at C:\WINDOWS> with Specified Command Search directory bad at the top of the box. (When this problem first started, I used to get a message EMM386 not installed - xms manager not present but this disappeared after I accessed the EMM286.exe file). In order to access Windows, I have to type exit at the C:\Windows> prompt.

Can you help me identify the problem?

I am guessing on this. Check your msdos.sys (edit it) file and make sure BootGUI is set to =1
BootGUI=1

Let me know if that works. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Right-click on autoexec.bat ,choose rename. Name it autoexec.old

Restart your comouter.

If you need DOS commands:

DOS commands go in the Exit To Dos and dosstart.bat files in the c:\windows directory.

reghakr

HELLO,
MY COMPUTER IS STUCK IN DOS AND I CAN'T GET BACK INTO WINDOWS
PLUS WHEN I TRY MY CD OR A DRIVE IT WON'T ACCESS IT BUT I HAVE
ALL MY FILES STILL IN WINDOWS I JUST NEED TO GET BACK INTO WINDOWS
PLEASE HELP ME . MY COMPUTER IS VERY IMPORTANT TO ME ,I HAVE A BUSINESS
AND ALL MY NOTES ARE ON IT I NEED HELP FAST
THANK YOU MADDOG

BFD, what is the error you are getting that cuases it to go to DOS mode? James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

First of all, for LMOORE:
(If the MSDOS.SYS didn't work)
- Find your Windows 98 CD
- Stick it into your CDROM Drive just after you turn the power on
- Wait for it to boot into the Setup For Windows
- Re-Install Windows 98. DO NOT CHOOSE TO FORMAT YOUR DRIVE

This will allow you to install "fresh" operating system essential files on top of the ones that you have (that are apparently very corrupt if your getting so many errors). You will not lose any data, programs, or files that are on the drive, but I would suggest backing up anything important just in case.

Second of all, for MADDOG:
- CALM DOWN
- Your files are not "in Windows" they are on your hard drive.
- If you cannot handle trying to give a description of what's happenning to cause this "DOS" problem, then no one can help you
- If your data is so important, then you should bring the computer into a CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN

IF, and I repeat IF you can give someone a description of what is happenning to cause your computer to boot into "DOS" instead of Windows, then maybe we can help. If you can't tell anyone what's wrong with it, then we can't help you.

jschrie@hotmail.com

MADDOG, describe the sequence of events as they appear on your screen upto the point your PC stops in DOS. Once we are aware of any error messages etc., then we can try and help you.

I assume that prior to this problem everything was running ok. Can you think of anything which might have precipitated this failure to run Windows? Also, tell us what version of Windows you're running.

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back