Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting MF cobol running with XP 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CobolWithXP

Programmer
Oct 4, 2005
GB
I am running microfocus cobol (dongle compiler version).
To get this working normally you have to copy all the Autoexec.bat statements and add them to the envrionment variables. It works fine with windows 98 but does not load when trying to run workbench on XP. It comes up with the egg timer then nothing. In task manager you have to delete the wb process. Can anybody help me with this please?

Probably the workbench can't connect to the dongle, as XP doesn't allow for direct hardware access (LPT port?), but W98 does. You should install the NT/W2K/XP driver for the dongle used AFAICS, but I don't know if that's available?

HTH
TonHu

Thanks for that - it does make alot of sense in what your saying but i don't know if this driver is available and also we have 2 XP machines in our office thats working fine with it. We have compared all variables between the two pc's and its the same. Maybe they have this driver you are on about. do you know what it might be called? or even enabling this direct access to the lpt port?

What kind of version are you running? Some older versions were 16 bit and XP does not like to run 16 Bit Programs. I have run 16 bit games in WinXP using the Compatability feature. If it works for games a copiler is probably not that hard. If you had an older DOS version you might be able to just reboot into an older version of MS Windows 98 or something like that. XP will set up a Dual Boot.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Cheers but we are running 16 bit cobol programs yes but we have tried this already and doesn't make a difference and also it works on my colleagues machine which has XP on it.

Usually the manufacturer of the dongle has a website where you can download drivers for XP. I ran into a similar problem with a software package that used Sentinel dongles and the manufacturer's website had a driver available for download. Installing the driver fixed the problem.

Cheers but the microfocus site has no drivers for this dongle as its very old now. If anyone knows of any drivers for a microfocus cobol dongle then please let me know

Did you check where the MicroFocus dongle was originated, e.g. is it a Sentinel dongle?

Been using MF cobol for years (Windows) but never had to have a dongle... lucky me :)

HTH
TonHu

You can't actually compile a *.lbr file if you havn't got a dongle - mabye you have a cracked version of cobol??!!
mabye you could send it to me!

I don't know where the dongle was originated, probably before i was born, its a yellow dongle with microfocus on it, thats all i know!.

never heard of sentinel before do they have a website?

Downloaded the sentinal drivers but made no difference, anyone else got any ideas?

Nah, just the secure way, update your IDE to the latest MF NetExpress, it works flawlessly on Windows XP.

HTH
TonHu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back