Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting MAC tables via SNMP from a SS3000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muh

IS-IT--Management
Jan 7, 2001
DK
Is it possible to have SNMP pull out the entire or local MAC address table from a SuperStack 3000?

I want to ease the way to find a specific MAC address on my LAN, so instead of looking at all the switches MAC tables to see whether the device is local or remote.

(Core is ATM, so I can't just poll that and go from there)

Hey - not sure what your Oid would be, but a tool that I find VERY useful is GetIf - It's free and very powerful for finding anything about a device. Also - We have Openview and it has a great MIB browser - I use that to find my Oid for any SNMP monitoring that i use.

3com switches have protocol analyzers ie. "Network Supervisor", or you can communicate with the switch via the serial console port. Once conected you can access the database and download all the mac's conected to your net.
(and/or switch)

I'm dealing with this problem too and I'm using UCD-snmp version: 4.2.1 to poll my devices.
This package include a lot of useful apps like "snmpwalk" that show you the mib tree of a given host!
For mac addresses you have to look in bridge MIB at oids 1.3.6.1.2.1.17.4.3.1.1........
For useful informations take a look at
What about building layer 2 network topology ?
please reply at ale.78@tin.it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back