Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting into the market? 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

nishi57

MIS
Apr 2, 2004
US
I have a question for all of you who are working in the market right now -

I have more than 2 years of technical experience plus a BS degree in Science (MIS), I also i am going towards getting my MCSE in WIN2K, I recently got my MCP, I don't think there is value for that.

I trying to get into the market. What suggestion would you recommend I do. I see there are not that much jobs in the midwest area.

What are my options.

There are jobs all over, I posted my resume on Monster and getting many hits. Just keep working hard, if you want , you will get it.. no matter what.

I like your attitude MCSE2003, thats how i see things too

A lot of jobs never get posted to the outside world. Cultivate your connections....friends, neighbors, family, basically anyone.

Got my current job through my neighbor. She found out I was looking for something, the company she worked for was kind of looking, but had no intention of advertising the position and she hooked me up.

Lots of Governemnt Jobs are available also. I am getting out of the Air Force and have 4 years experience networking and Government jobs are hot. Clearance or not. Try Dice.com also. Good site for Job searches along with computerjobs.com. It is way to easy to find a job in this market. If you have a problem reply back to me an I can offer further help.

disappointing is when you read how many places want MCSE 2000 plus 2003 as the *starting point* along with skills in Cisco, Citrix, SQL DBA, Perl, IIS. Your 3 to 5 years hands-on experience will make you eligible for a mere $40,000/year...

We need to do a better job of marketing IT as an asset for business, not just a costly mutant to keep in the back room...

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel
"A knight without armour in a [cyber] land."

The only problem I have with posting resume's on web sites is that for the most part, the only phone calls or emails you get are from staffing firms who don't know the difference between the certifications.

I had a call from one of these firms last week. The woman told me she had a position open for an MCSE with 3+ years experience and that my resume caught her eye. I asked HOW my resume caught her eye when it says MCSA looking for entry-level position.

The best advice I can give is if you have an online resume, somewhere on it put the phrase "No third parties please".

"If time travel were possible, I'd go back and choose NOT to attend SCD

You might want to try and put it up on a personal website rather than a job board, I got an interview last week because a hiring manager found my site and CV via google and invited me in for an interview based on the strength of my website alone, plus a 10 minute phonecall.
All I suggest you do is take your print CV/resume, remove personal contact information except email address (or include a link to a contact me webform) convert it to HTML/CSS and post it up on the web with appropriate meta tags, and link to it wherever possible.

John

I agree with jrbarnett about the website. A personal web page can be a excellent marketing tool. You can provide a lot of information about yourself that an employer may be interested in knowing but wouldn't be appropriate to put on a resume such as more in-depth job descriptions, other experience outside of IT, personal goals, soft skills, related interests, personal experiences, community involvement, etc. I have a small photo of myself in a tie as well. Just remember to keep it professional and try not to provide too much personal or completely irrelevant information. Also remember that a poorly made website will reflect badly for someone in IT, especially for those in programming or web development.

I usually include my web address on my resume and all email correspondence with potential employers. If they're interested in finding out more information about me its readily available to them. I think my website helps to reduce surprises at interview time and works towards buiding a relationship with the interviewer before you even meet. Obviously, there are other things you can do as well to develop you career...

-Andrew

Well I went to a 3rd party consulting firmand landed a great job only a week after separarting from the military. I dont have any certs yet but I remained persistant and all is well now. I took te drowning effect. I went on every job website I could and submitted my resume to ver 100 companies. I called the ones that I could find numbers to and the offers are still coming in. By no means is the IT industry not hiring. I think the pay is definitly down but emplyers are leary after the downfall of the industry in 2000-2001. Alot of inexperienced techies were getting paid good money and demanding more for poor service. I think finding a good job is limited to location and what you are willing to do.

NetworkGuy101,
Congrats on all the offers, and I do agree with you. However, there are pitfalls. I know the feeling of getting out of the military (10.5 years) and having offers thrown at me. When you are making (roughly) $21K a year, and then start seeing $45K a year, I thought WOW, this is great....Then reality struck, and I noticed that, like you said, a lot of inexperienced techies getting paid good money for doing less than I (making about the same as me). My only suggestion is to talk with some of the "techies" that you may be working with to find out what their knowledge level is as well. Kind of hard to do at some companies, but put forth the effort, and it could pay off. My current job is great (left the one straight out of the military, not just because of pay), and I am surrounded by knowledgable individuals.
Like you said. Look, and you can find a job, the hard part is selling yourself....

never compare yourself with others... it's a lose-lose situation... there are too many idiots and slackers making more than all of us... so don't try to compete with them...

For example: Dick Brown, former CEO of EDS took away about $100 Million following the stock price dropping from $72 to about $10... mostly a result of his "leadership"...

instead of staring at cheaters and losers, look for where you're at and make a plan with your leaders to build your career... and salary... over time...

1. Determine your career path
2. Determine the salary requirements
3. Determine your true worth to the company
4. Revisit steps 1-3
5. Go out there and add to the GDP!!

May your path be littered with your successes!!

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel
"A knight without armour in a [cyber] land."

Looking for the 3C0 who placed a post here the other day. It appears like the post is missing. Please repost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back