Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting information via hyperlink - what can VFP do to avoid "dead" links? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

german12

Programmer
Nov 12, 2001
DE
It is easy to get a Internet-page opened by VFP, however when you have a table full of internet-adresses it could be, that a link can not be reached because it does not exist in the net anymore.
Could it be to have a code snippet in VFP which avoids to open such dead links - perhaps with a message for the user, and of course with automatic deletion of that records which are wortheless?

I have no idea...

Klaus

Peace worldwide - it starts here...

An interesting post, Klaus. And well done with the water colours.

You wrote:

IBM made a huge mistake in letting MICROSOFT develop the operating system for personal computers

I would add that Seattle Computer Products (SCP) made a much bigger mistake when they allowed Microsoft to use their own operating system (called 86-DOS) as the basis for MS-DOS. SCP received a small one-off payment, while Microsoft went on to make millions.

Regarding Lotus, was it ever integrated into the operating system? We all remember 1-2-3 as a stand-alone product, of course, but I lost track of it when it became part of Lotus Smartsuite. 1-2-3 did spectacularly well because its only real competition was Microsoft's Multiplan. Once Microsoft ditched Multiplan and brought out Excel, that was the end of 1-2-3.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

Klaus,

I am impressed with your work and liked the watercolors very much.

78? And still coloring? Very good.

Stay healthy.

Koen

Mike and Koen
Thanks for praising my watercolors. When I started that 10 years ago, I thought it would be the easiest way to paint -
But the opposite is true. There is no or less chance of repairing a mistake - however if you paint acrylic or oil, you can cover the mistake several times with color, but this is not possible in watercolor.
This is why many people prefer to paint with these techniques when they are using Watercolor not coping.
But watercolors are more luminous and just not 100% controllable, this always results in attractive contrasts when the color
runs - then sometimes a painting looks better in the morning than in the evening before - and vice versa ...
There is even literature about it
Screenshot_2020-09-11_How_to_Make_a_Watercolor_Paint_Itself_Experimental_Techniques_for_Achieving_Realistic_Effects_iyltpp.jpg

So if you ever start programming - and you only have problems - leave it and paint meanwhile -
because the solution might come to you while you are painting or later in bed.

Best wishes
Klaus

Mike: Concerning Lotus - as far as I know, the whole package of Lotus Smart-Suite (Word Pro, 1-2-3 Spreadsheet, Freelance Graphics, Approach Database, Lotus Organizer, and Lotus FastSite (Intranet Document Publisher)
was not integrated in the OS - that bundle is comparable with todays Microsoft-Office Package.

bye
Klaus

So if you ever start programming - and you only have problems - leave it and paint meanwhile

I know I will never be an artist. My solution to the problem of programmer's block is to go for a bike ride. It never fails.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back