Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

getting images to screen/blend

Status
Not open for further replies.

galaxy2575

Technical User
Mar 24, 2002
US
Hi all,

What I am doing....
creating a brochure with multiple layered images with 2 bleeds

problem...
when I place an image into pagemaker the blending options from photoshop do not carry over

I tried to go to the image control menue and it will not allow me to do it...(after "placing" the image)no matter what format placed image is

Questions:
1) should I layer all images in photoshop and save as one gigantic file and place in pagemaker?

2) should I force save into a tiff format? PM recomends psd format due to the use of blending options...

3) Does this have anything to do with my selected printer?

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks,
g

In short, yes -- you should combine your layered pixel images into lone large file in Photoshop, then place the large image into PageMaker.

The problem I believe you're encountering is that as you layer your multiple pixel image, the ones below are opaqued.
PageMaker can adjust the relative density (light/dark, from the Image Control dialog box), but not the transparency/opacity of images. As such, you're placeing one opaque image over the one(s) below.

By compositing them in Photoshop and bringing in one blended (but opaque) image, I think you'll get the results you're looking for.

Randy Hagan-htech
P.O. Box 15055
Portland, ME 04112-5055

email: help@RandyHagan.com

Randy is correct, PM 6.5 does not have the ability to allow transparency of graphics. Overlayed images need to be edited first with a graphics application. PM7.0 allows for placement of illustrator and photoshop native format files, which 6.5 did not. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

thanks Randy/viol8ion,

did as recomended and still cannot access image control drop menue in PM to adjust light/dark.

also PM has a PS effects in image control menue, being as I have not been able to access this menue, can I use these to adjust image screen for print?

How do I set bleeds in PM/is this possible?

thanks in advance for the help,

-g

PM's image control lets you modify 1-bit and grayscale images ONLY! It will increase or decrease light and contrast ont hese types of images. You will have to use your graphics editing application (photopaint or photoshop) for total control of color images. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Oh.. I hit Submit Post before answering your bleed question. For bleed on graphics, I generally design my graphic to be 1/2 inch larger than the page size, and allow for 1/4 inch bleed. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Viol8ion,

First let me say, nice artwork on your site.

I have edited the image in PS, gotten it to look the way I want it to screened and everthing, then saved it into tiff format. when I place the image into PM I still dont get a screened back image on screen or when printing, am I missing something?

Thnx

-g

Thanx for the compliment on my site.

Could you describe what you mean by "screened back image"? I am not sure what effect you are trying to attain.

The image that you see on screen will be of lower resolution when viewed on screen because PM basically shows what amounts to a placeholder, but the image should print properly. Go to File> Prefs & set display to high if the on screen display bothers you, but be aware this will slow down screen refresh.

I recommend a 300DPI Tiff for printing, use the PM place command to place the graphics (which it sounds like you are doing). In Print> Options dialogue set Send TIFF/Images to Normal, not optimized.

Let me know how this works. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

u'r welcome

I am printing this from PM to film to run on an offset printer. 4 colour process (CMYK)

what I mean by "screened back image" is:

basically make the image lighter/semi transparent so that I will not have to trap every letter of text. more so I can overprint with black text and have the text not get muddled into the image..... don't want to make the text a as a "knock out"... background image looses continuity with this effect.

thnx again

Galaxy

Gotcha,the problem with PM is that it does not give you that level of control over bitmap images other than 1 bit or grayscale images. You can apply tint and transparency to grayscale TIFFs and achieve what you are talking about, but PM handles CMYK & RGB graphics as solid. Even if you manipulate the contrast/brightness, etc in PS and make it look transparent, it is still an opaque image to PM.

I think that InDesign2.0 has the capability you want, but don't quote me on that.

When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

viol8ion,

thats what I found out after goin thru every option possible in PM 6.5.

What I did find after taking the file to my print broker for color match proofs, is that if you run on a ripit or on CLC1000 you can adjust the line per inch screen which will give the disired effect with out effecting the text(provided its not an art font).

I really didn't want to spring that $799 for InDesign tho. Rats! and I didn't want to go back to (at the risk of soundin blasphemous!) to Quark

thanks,
-G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back